Readymom
Site Admin

Food Item: Beets

Post by Readymom »

Food Item: Beets

Successful cold storage-Beets
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gist82.html

By Sylvia Gist

(SNIP) ... Ideally, I would have a root cellar which maintained the correct temperature for the produce I would like to keep. Unfortunately, it'ss not that ideal, so I have to look for other places to store things. Fortunately, different vegetables like different temperatures, so everything doesn't have to go in the same place. Other storage options (depending upon the item) include in the ground, under a staircase, unheated rooms, outside stairwells, pits in the ground, or extra refrigerators, to name a few.

Beets

I hadn't even considered storing beets until a few that I had just thrown in a plastic bag in the refrigerator were in pretty good shape a couple of months later. Upon investigation, I discovered that, although the common Detroit Dark Red that I was planting can be stored if done properly, there are specific beets for winter storage. I purchased some Lutz Greenleaf seed and sowed it in the spring along with my other spring beets. It took a long time to germinate and then grew slowly, but in October, I dug some softball sized beets to store. Unless you are using a long season beet like Lutz, the seed should be sown in June or July for late harvest. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Vegetables”