Baby Items to Have on Hand

Babies may be small ... but they come with large demands. There's a lot to consider to care for them, in an emergency situation. Before their birth, pregnant moms have a lot to consider in advanced preparations.
Readymom
Site Admin

Baby Items to Have on Hand

Post by Readymom »

Baby Items-Forum Discussion

Baby Items to Have On Hand -Page 449
http://www.singtomeohmuse.com/viewtopic.php?p=331680&highlight=grandchild#331680

:arrow: MountainBiker
With my 1st grandchild on the way ( a girl due in April) I need to start thinking about baby/young child preps. They'll surely be getting all of the usual baby stuff as presents. I am thinking in terms of the stuff that they won't get....foods, meds, etc that a baby/young child would need when you can't just run to the store. It's been a long time since I had to think in terms of babies......

:arrow: charmar
Congratulations, MountainBiker! The single most inportant prep is to have the new mother nurse her baby. That is all the food needed for the first 6 months and also confers immunity to a number of diseases. If the mother doesn't nurse her baby, you can get information about re-lactating if necessary, but get the information now and print it out. It is difficult, but not impossible.

Because there are young women of childbearing age in my family who think only of disposable diapers, I have 4 dozen cloth diapers, safety pins, and non-plastic diaper covers (like plastic panties). A Snuggly or carrying wrap/sling is very handy as is a clothesline, clothes pins and rapid laundry washer from lehmans.com. Other clothes pins are puny and don't last.

I have a stock of scent free detergent, baby shampoo, and baby wash. I buy two new bottles of baby tylenol and pedialyte every year and throw out those more than three years old. I also keep several tubes of desitin diaper rash ointment, A&D ointment, oragel for teething, and lots of baby wipes.

I have purchased neutral boy/girl clothes from the thrift stores and garage sales for ages newborn to size two that I have washed and sealed in plastic bags and tubs.

Babies don't need canned baby food. I have a potato ricer to make mashed vegetables, but a fork works just as well. Babies can tolerate oatmeal, cream of wheat, and rice cereal. I used a regular meat grinder to grind meat for my older babies. I would have ham salad (ground up left over ham, hard boiled eggs, sweet relish, and mayo or salad dressing), and they would have ground up ham and eggs. Smile

It is amazing how many of the gifts she'll be given aren't really needed. Nice, but not necessary.

Think food (mother's milk), warmth, diapers, sanitation, and an easy way to carry the baby.

A sturdy buggy or stroller is nice, as long as it has big wheels to be able to maneuver on grassy or rough terrain.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Baby Items to Have on Hand

Post by Readymom »

Baby Prep Items

Bases Covered for Baby Preparedness
http://thesurvivalmom.com/bases-covered-baby-preparedness/

If you are preparedness minded and a new parent, chances are you have already provided your infant with a 72 hour kit, including clothes and extra blankets. In fact, you have most likely stressed over preparing for your little bundle of joy. Here are a few other preps you may not have thought of yet for baby preparedness. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Baby Prep Items

Ark Prep 101 - Infant Care!
http://preparednotscared.blogspot.com/2010/10/ark-prep-101-infant-care.html

Image It's all about BABIES TODAY! I think that in an EMERGENCY, taking care of our children should be High On Our List.
Can you imagine NOT having any Formula, Bottles, or Diapers?

Here's a List of the Basics You Should Have On Hand: --- CONTINUED at LINK,above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

27 Emergency Items for Pregnant Women and Newborns
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/emergency-items-for-pregnant-women-and-newborns/

Disasters can strike at any point in time, making it important to prepare as best you can for an emergency. This is even more vital when you or someone within your household is pregnant or has a newborn. Pregnancy and newborn care require a little extra planning to ride out a disaster. Learn more about these top items to pack in an emergency when pregnant or with a newborn. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Babies & Pregnancy”