Balcony Garden

Including Campers and RV's. How do you store the necessary food, water & medical supplies needed for a lengthy Emergency Sitting In Place situation? Some tips can be found here ...
Readymom
Site Admin

Balcony Garden

Post by Readymom »

Even apartment dwellers can have a simple garden to help them get through with some fresh foods. Look what they had to say on Fluwiki:
http://www.fluwikie2.com/pmwiki.php?n=F ... ntPreppers

:arrow: (STH)
Yep, that’s what I’m doing. I have lettuce and green onions in clay pots on my little balcony. There isn’t enough direct sunlight for tomatoes (bummer!), but the lettuce and onions seem to be doing great. In fact, it’s already at the point now where I can thin it out and make a salad with the stuff I take out. I got a package of mixed lettuce seeds at Wal-Mart, so that I could have a variety.

Another plant that would do well in a pot is a bell pepper. Needs more light than the lettuce, but it would be a nice addition to the plants that you already have.

:arrow: (Melanie)
My little herb garden goes in this weekend. Fresh herbs can make bland canned and dried preps taste like cuisine. What doesn’t get used this season goes into the freezer for later use.

:arrow: (Woodstock)
Birdwatcher: may i suggest sprouts? Will grow damn near anywhere and take very little space.

:arrow: (dweller)
I have a storage space away from the apartment. All supplies will be boxed before I ultimately bring them in to conceal contents.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Balcony Garden

Post by Readymom »

Growing Vegetables in the Balcony
https://apartmentprepper.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/growing-vegetables-in-the-balcony/

(SNIP) ... To become more self sufficient, a common piece of advice is to grow your own vegetables. Ideally, you would have a nice sized backyard to start your garden, but apartment dwellers have very limited space. So we decided to try growing some vegetables in the balcony. I don’t have a lot of plants: just a few tomatoes, peppers, mint, rosemary, basil, green onions, parsley and cilantro.

Here are some ideas to get started: ---CONTINUED---

** CROSS POSTED in Gardening Forum **

Return to “Apartments & Other Small Living Areas”