Food Item: Cake Mixes

Milk, Rice, Beans, Butter ... some of the specific food items that have their own helpful hints.
Readymom
Site Admin

Food Item: Cake Mixes

Post by Readymom »

Cake Mixes past their expiration dates

Original Post by: KR105 at Plan For pandemic

http://planforpandemic.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
I just baked up two cakes from mixes that were past their prime. The first was mixed as directed and gave fairly slender layers. (Who said you can never be too thin? These undoubtably were!)

For the second mix, I added a heaping teaspoon of baking powder to the mix and PERFECTO - ended up with plump, happy looking layers for the cake.

Just in case you have any mixes lurking in the back of the shelf - try this, it works great.
:arrow: (HappyCamper)
Thank you so much KR105:

Was baking butter cookies and I used old flour. I really didn't think much about the flour being old. It was about 1 year 5 months, from when I bought it.

I made a total of 8 batches. I wrapped them in plastic and put the in the refridge. The next day, I baked up 2 cookie sheet worth of cookies and they were flat. So, remembering this thread, I put in double the amount of baking powder required and mixed the batch up in the kitchen aid and wala, the rest of my butter cookies were perfect. Just the way they should be and they taste great.

You saved me a lot of money in butter and my time. Thank you so much...
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Food Item: Cake Mixes

Post by Readymom »

Jar Cakes

FOOD STORAGE TIPS
http://everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/book-2.html

Jar cakes & breads: This method of baking has been done for years, but there has been some discussion as to its safety. Because the eggs were exchanged with unflavored gelatin in all of these recipes, it is unlikely that the ingredients used could support bacteria if prepared and cooked properly. If you feel at all uncomfortable with this method, don’t use it.

Jar cakes are great for food storage and the solar oven, but you must be sure to sanitize all your jars and lids to be sure they are free from bacteria. Foods such as breads, cakes, muffins, cornbread, brownies, cookies and cinnamon rolls are cooked and sealed in mason jars and can be kept on the shelf for several weeks. Using a pastry brush, grease the inside of your jar with shortening (no Pam or Baker’s Secret) and fill it ½ to 2/3 full with batter or dough and bake. No lid is used at this time. Let your breads rise in the jars and then bake. If it bakes too high, cut the top of your bread or cake off before sealing the jar. Just be sure your jar edge is clean and your lids are hot. Immediately after the food is cooked, place a heated lid on the hot jar and tighten with the ring (Use hot pads). Within a few minutes, the lid will “plink” and the food will be sealed. The food will slip out of the jars easily if you use the straight sided “jelly jars” but any kind of mason jar will work. With this method, you can do your baking on your bright sunny days and have fully cooked baked goods waiting on your shelves for that rainy day.

Return to “Food: Specific Food Item Hint”