Readymom
Site Admin

Food Item: Acorns

Post by Readymom »

Food Item: Acorns!

Harvesting the wild: acorns
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay79.html

By Jackie Clay

Image When I was just a little girl, I used to collect acorns by the boxfull as they fell in the fall. I didn't know why. They just felt nice in the hand and somehow a big bunch of them felt satisfying. Could that be because somewhere in my ancestors' time, acorns were a very important food? Native Americans all across oak-growing North and South America harvested acorns, which were nearly as important a food as corn or beans. Such tribes as the Cherokee, Apache, Pima, and Ojibwa routinely harvested and used the acorn. These Indian gatherers taught early settlers how to harvest and use acorns in their cooking, as they did corn and other traditional foods. Even today, many Indians gather acorns, both to use themselves and to sell in Mexican markets.

And those bright, shining round acorns are very good for you, besides tasting great. --- continued at link, above ---

Includes:
  • Health benefits of acorns
    But acorns taste bitter!
    From the mighty oak
    Harvesting
    Processing
    Using acorn meal
Readymom
Site Admin

Food: Acorns

Post by Readymom »

How to Make Acorn Flour
http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-make-acorn-flour.htm

Image Turning those bitter tasting nuts that are found all over the place during the fall into something that is not only palatable but rather good tasting is not as difficult as one would think. In this post I’ll be demonstrating how to turn acorns into an awesome food source.

The first step is rather self-explanatory. But for the sake of being thorough I’ll go through it.

While you can collect them directly from the tree, the best place to gather acorns is ...... --- CONTINUED at LINK,above---

Return to “Beans & Nuts”