Post subject: Re: Food Item: Onions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:22 am 
Site Admin

Food Item: Onions

Successful cold storage
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gist82.html

By Sylvia Gist

-snip-

Ideally, I would have a root cellar which maintained the correct temperature for the produce I would like to keep. Unfortunately, it's not that ideal, so I have to look for other places to store things. Fortunately, different vegetables like different temperatures, so everything doesn't have to go in the same place. Other storage options (depending upon the item) include in the ground, under a staircase, unheated rooms, outside stairwells, pits in the ground, or extra refrigerators, to name a few.

A storage method is only the last step to having successful cold storage and fresh vegetables in the winter. The first step begins with the seed catalog; it is extremely important to choose cultivars which store well. For example, not every type of carrot will still be edible the following May. Most seed catalogs are good at telling us which ones have good storage qualities. I have relied on their recommendations and have found particular cultivars of a number of vegetables that store very well for me.

Planting time and harvest time also affect the success of storage. Many storage vegetables are planted later and harvested after frost. In the following discussion, I will note what works best for me as I deal with a fairly short growing season and cool nights.

-snip- --- FULL article can be found at link, above ---

Onions

Perhaps my favorite vegetable in storage is the onion. The sweet ones have to be eaten in the summer and early fall, but the pungent ones can last until you have the next crop. A couple of long-day hybrids, Copra and Norstar, have worked well for me. I start the seed indoors in February, feed them fish fertilizer, and set tiny plants out in early May. Norstar matures sooner than Copra, but both are narrow necked hard onions of medium size. In August, I quit watering them.

When they mature, pull and dry them in the sun. If the weather isn't warm enough, it is necessary to push the tops over and then pull them and lay them out to dry for quite a while. When they have dried sufficiently, remove the dry tops (but not the skins) and put the onions in a basket or mesh bag and set or hang in a dry, cold (32° to 35° F.) place where they get ventilation. I don't have a perfect place, but these two cultivars do well even when ideal storage can't quite be met.

For those who prefer non-hybrids, the yellow potato onion, a multiplier onion, is terrific. They are smaller (up to 1½ inch), but store extremely well, being very hard well into summer. You plant this onion in early fall and mulch for winter. Remove the mulch in spring to find sprouts which can soon provide green scallions or grow (with liberal watering) into bunches of small onions which will dry down in July. Be sure to save some to plant for the next crop.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Food Item: Onions
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Storing Onions

DIY:: Storing Onions
http://savvy-living.com/diy-storing-onions/

Image This is such a neat idea! Storing onions for winter, can store for months in pantyhose. Tie a knot between onions and you can then clip the knot as you need an onion.

Offline Profile