It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Food item: Flour, Wheat & Grain Grinders
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:18 pm 
Site Admin

Soy Flour-Forum Discussion

Originally posted by phoenixrising , Avian Flu Talk
http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=964

Purchase soy flour as an egg replacement in all your baking, meatloaf, and croquette type patties.

One pound of soy flour equals about 40-45 heaping tablespoons.

For each large egg equivalent, use:

1 Heaping tablespoon of soy flour

1 Tablespoon of water

You can also make ahead mixes using soy flour--just increase your liquid by one tablespoon when mixing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Food item: Flour, Wheat & Grain Grinders
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Grains: Descriptions of Types of Grains

From Alans Stuff, Prudent Food Storage
http://athagan.members.atlantic.net/PFS ... tml#Grains

ABOUT GLUTEN: As you read through the grain descriptions below you will come across frequent mention of "gluten". Gluten is a combination of proteins found in some grains which enables the dough made from them to rise by trapping the gasses produced by yeast fermentation or chemical reaction of baking powder or soda. The amount of these proteins varies depending on the species of grain and varieties within a species. Some grains such as rice have virtually no gluten at all and will not produce a raised loaf by itself while others like hard winter wheat have a great deal and make excellent raised bread. As a general rule yeast raised breads need a fair amount of gluten to attain good dough volumes while non-yeast raised breads may need little or none at all. Whether gluten content is of importance to you will depend upon the end uses you intend for your grain.

Some of the common and relatively uncommon types of grains are . . . . . CONTINUED at LINK, above (copyrighted)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Grains & Grain Products -Including Rice,Wheat, Flour & O
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:59 am 
Site Admin

Oats-Why You Should Stock Them

10 Reasons Why Everyone Should Store Oats
http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/12/10-reasons-why-everyone-should-store-oats.html

Image Oats are one of those storage foods people LOVE to ignore. I can’t even get my own husband to eat them. Since we both came from rural areas and grew up with the same self-reliant and frugal values, I couldn’t understand this. I love oats! Why would anyone not like oats?

Soon I learned it wasn’t just him, but mostly everyone else I ran into. I am convinced that most people who don’t like oats are running into one of two main problems. They never had them prepared correctly to begin with; and/or they just don’t know what to do with them other than make oatmeal. I am going to solve these problems with you today. Oats are an extremely valuable item to put in your food stores and an incredibly healthy addition to your diet and here’s why: --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:32 am 
Site Admin

The Top 10 Cereal Grains You Need

The Top 10 Cereal Grains You Need To Have in a Crisis
http://www.askaprepper.com/?s=The+Top+10+Cereal+Grains+You+Need+To+Have+in+a+Crisis

A cereal is basically a grass which is cultivated for its “grain.” Most grains undergo a refining process to some extent which extracts the edible portion. While protein is definitely a priority in any survival situation, the body will not function fully unless it has carbohydrates too. Carbohydrates are the body’s favorite type of fuel, easily utilized, used by all the tissues, necessary for the central nervous system, kidneys, brain, muscles, and vital for intestinal health and waste elimination. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:19 am 
Site Admin

WHEAT: How to Tell the Difference Between Hard & Soft

Wheat: Red vs White; Spring vs Winter
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/6985/wheat-red-vs-white-spring-vs-winter

Home millers have definite preferences when it comes to wheat. Many favor hard spring wheat over winter wheat for it's somewhat higher protein value (and stronger gluten). Furthermore, some prefer the red variety for it's robust flavor while others prefer the milder taste of white.

Some Background: Hard Red Wheat vs Hard White Wheat --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:30 am 
Site Admin

Is it possible to tell the difference between winter wheat seeds and spring wheat seeds?
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100424175255AAVdNRj

Do the seeds look different? How do you tell them apart.

Best Answer: Yes it can be done, but, it takes a good eye, training and some field experience.

Hard White Wheat (know as HW )- HW varieties are most similar to soft white wheat but they have a harder texture and produce chunky versus floury particles when crunched. Hard white wheat kernels have a golden color and lustrous appearance, like hard red winter wheat, when cut open. Higher protein types can have a glassy internal appearance.

Hard Red Winter (known as HRW) - HRW kernels are brick red in color and have a lustrous appearance when cut open. Kernel texture is hard and crushed kernels produce chunky particles. HRW kernels are typically larger than hard red spring wheat kernels.

Hard red spring (known as HRS) -HRS kernels are brick red in color and have a glassy appearance when cut open. HRS kernels tend to be smaller than HRW kernels, have a deeper red color and glassier texture. Kernel texture is hard and crushed kernels produce chunky particles.

Soft white (know as SW) -SW kernels are golden in color and have a dull, chalky appearance when cut open. Kernels have a soft texture and crushed kernels produce floury particles.

Soft red winter (known as SRW)- SRW kernels are orange-red in color and have a dull, chalky appearance when cut open. Kernels have a soft texture and crushed kernels produce floury particles. The color difference between soft white and soft red wheat is due to a single layer of colored cells in the bran layer of the kernels

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Choosing Grain
http://www.homesteadingwife.com/2012/09/choosing-grain.html

Now that I'm grinding more and more of our flour, I am learning a lot about what types of grain work best for what I'm making. I currently have three types in my pantry, hard red wheat, hard white, and soft white.

I purchased my hard white and soft white grain from Azure Standard. They seem to have the best prices for bulk grains. The hard red wheat I found at Walmart of all places. I'm sure that it's not organic, but the price was right and I wanted to give it a try.

The main difference between hard red wheat and hard white wheat is the color. Red wheat still has the genes for bran color, while white wheat was developed from red wheat, but the color has been eliminated. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Offline Profile