Eco Fuel

Fuels include Charcoal, wood, propane, cow dung and more!
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Eco Fuel

Post by Readymom »

Further Discussion:

From Plan for Pandemic
http://planforpandemic.com/viewtopic.ph ... t=eco+fuel

:?: WitchMisspelled @ Plan for Pandemic:

Has anyone had any experience with Eco Fuel Heat Cell?

I'm thinking that and a flat camp stove might be my solution to cooking if the gas lines go down in NYC. I am fearful about storing anything flammable like propane or butane. These are non-alcohol based and classified as non-flammable unless lit. No special storage requirements, but I'll try to keep them cooler rather than warmer. They have two caps: one removed for warming the other removed for higher heat for cooking.

Oddly enough, I'm more worried about llosing the gas supply than I am about losing electricity. I think it's a given we're going to lose potable water unless water works takes our Mayor seriously when he threw a fit that they only had two weeks supply of water treatment chemicals on hand.

:arrow: Bannor

Looks like what we used to buy years ago, called "Sterno", but this seems more cost effective by burn time/volume.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=CK ... 1210604873

:arrow: WitchMisspelled

It is just like sterno, only it's non-alcohol based so there doesn't appear to be the storage issues (combustion) that sterno has. Evidently it has even been approved for US Postal and air-shipment by the DOT, HAZMAT, and a bunch of other agencies I don't know the acronyms for.

Also, you can't re-light (or aren't supposed to) sternos. You can re-light these. In storage, sterno has a tendency to evaporate over time, these do not. It's also a "green" fuel in that it's all biodegradable. It just seems like a perfect a solution for me.

I'm just looking for the flaws or drawbacks that my cynical nature knows are there.

:arrow: ACMom

Hi WitchMisspelled! Yes, RM is right, I really love the EcoFuel.

Here's what I posted about it a while back on FluWiki:

"EcoFuel is a great back up cooking source for many reasons:

Pros:

1) easy to use for beginners (just light and cook; no need to read instructions that come with a camp stove; hook up propane cannisters, refill kerosene, etc.)

2) stores forever (I think at least 10 years) - doesn't need to be rotated every year or so (like propane and kerosene) and doesn't evaporate (like Sterno will) So it is a great choice for people as an absolute back-up method they think they will never need to use. Easy to just buy and keep.

3) extremely safe to store -- you can even mail it or fly it on airplanes; no explosion or fire risk; good choice for those in apartments.

4) it will heat stuff up to 400 degrees, so unlike Sterno, it will actually boil water!

5) Safe to use. It comes in a very stable can that you set under a small cooking stove. If the can tips over the fuel does not spill out, it just extinguishes the fire.

Cons:

1) It might be more expensive than propane, and kerosene, esp. if you already have a propane gas grill outside and buy the propane in 20 pound cannisters.

2) One can is about $3 to $4, and will (only) last about 4 to 5 hours of cooking time. I find cooking on it to be exactly like cooking on my gas stovetop with the burner set on low. Boiling water might take 10 minutes. I would use this fuel along with a thermal-cooker method to save on fuel wherever I could!

3). It is an open flame; you would need to take care and observe all proper open flame precautions. It will burn you. If flammable items fall on top of it, it will burn those items and could cause a fire.

4) You must crack a window when cooking inside, as it does produce carbon monoxide. Still it is pretty small; I think the danger is low there.

I have no affiliation with this product! I just think it is a great one!"

and here's the results of a little thermal cooker experiment I tried using EcoFuel:

http://www.singtomeohmuse.com/viewtopic ... fuel#82421

"This thread was initially started with thoughts of apartment dwellers in mind (small spaces). I always wondered how could apartment dwellers (who usually have electric stoves) stock up on cheaper foods (rice, beans, etc.) that would require cooking. Apartment dwellers usually are not allowed to store fuels which could be a fire hazard, etc. That includes large amounts of propane, Sterno etc.

Well, there's a great fuel called EcoFuel. It comes in a can like Sterno does, but unlike Sterno will actually boil water (gets up to 400 degrees) AND it can safely be stored -- you can even mail it or send it on an airplane AND it has a very long shelf life (doesn't evaporate like Sterno does, doesn't need to be rotated.) I would say it appears to be a very safe product, and would be a good choice for apartment dwellers.

I got a can of this from Emergency Essentials and have been experimenting with it. I'd say it is a lot like cooking over my gas stove, with the flame set on low. That is, it DOES get pans good and hot; just takes a little while longer. So far I've boiled water, fried tortillas, scrambled eggs and popped popcorn over the flame.

In order to save on fuel, I've been experimenting with the "haybox cooker" idea and have been searching for a very easy solution that doesn't involve a lot of directions. Northstar mentioned to me that she at times just wrapped a hot pot in a blanket and put it in the over and it cooked just fine; so I tried a modified version of that approach.

I used the EcoFuel flame to heat up a cast iron dutch over and boil water and millet and beans; then wrapped the whole pot in a fleece blanket from the sofa, and then wrapped that whole thing in one of those 95 cent reflective blankets from Emergency Essentials. You can tape the blanket closed like a present, or just fasten it with some paper clips or clothespins. I put the whole pot in the oven (not turned on) The original directions were to try to put this thing into some kind of cooler or an insulated box you have made-- that's just too complicated for me PLUS I was having a hard time finding a pot that would fit my coolers. Wrapping a pot in a blanket and then in a reflective blanket is SERIOUSLY easy.

Anyhow, after 5 hours, the cast iron pot was still so hot to the touch that I needed to use a pot holder to open it, and the stew inside was cooked through. Since the EcoFuel can will give you about 4-5 hours of cooking time at 400 degrees, using this method would allow apartment dwellers to cook whole grains and beans and still be able to stretch their cooking fuel.

I found a supplier for EcoFuel right here in the DC area. They are this company http://www.copeusa.org/orders.htm

They will sell one can of EcoFuel for I think $3, which is the best price I have seen around online. I don't know anything about this company (no affiliation) but since they are in my area, I emailed and asked if I could stop by and pick stuff up to save on shipping; they said "Absolutely -- can you write a check?" So if I do end up buying something from them, I will let you know if they seem reputable. (If they will take a check from me, that will let you know if I seem reputable.) (-;"

:arrow:WitchMisspelled

Many thanks to ACMom . . .

Every question I had was answered. My plan was to do precisely what AC Mom describes in her post and I have the added benefit of knowing it will get hot enough to pop popcorn.

I'm guessing that you used cast iron equipment? Or perhaps aluminum? Both are better conductors than stainless.

And the idea to use one of the reflective blankets and the oven instead of a cooler is hugely ingenious and helpful. An oven is insulated and no need to store extra stuff in a small NY apartment!

I used just my regular post -- cast iron and I guess stainless steel with a little copper on the bottom? Nothing fancy. Honestly, cooking on EcoFuel seems exactly like cooking on my gas stove, on low. I mean, it takes quite a while to heat up a cast iron pot of water; that IS one disadvantage of EcoFuel to say, a propane stove. I think you would want at a bare minimum about 2 cans per week for a family of 4 -- that's a very bare minimum. Somewhere I read someone's suggestion of 1 can per person per week. Just to give you an idea.

Return to “Fuels-Types of”