Dr. Agwunobi, Asst. (US) Secretary of Health1/23/2006

Watch these and you will learn so much more!
Readymom
Site Admin

Dr. Agwunobi, Asst. (US) Secretary of Health1/23/2006

Post by Readymom »

Avian Flu Video Conference Excerpts
Dr. John Agwunobi, Assistant Secretary of Health
United States Department of Health & Human Services
January 23, 2006(3:56)

http://usinfo.state.gov/gi/Archive/2006 ... 49333.html

Transcript below:

One of my main functions is to help translate that the policy that's developed at the level of the Secretary, and indeed, at the level at the White House into practice on the ground around the nation.

As it relates to the pandemic, we've been given very clear guidelines for the planning and preparedness from number one -- the President of our Nation - in the form of planning strategy that was released by the White House. That was followed very quickly by a plan that was written by, actually my colleague, Dr. Gellin and his team, for the Department of Health, an over-arching plan for the Department of Health and Human Services here in the United States.

We've taken that plan now to another level, each agency including the Department of State and many others in federal government are in the process of developing their pandemic preparedness and strategy plans. Plans that would implement their activities if a pandemic were to occur.

But I think most important has been the task that we've been charged along with the Centers for Disease Control, here in the U.S., to reach out, not only globally, which we'll talk about I imagine in some depth, but also locally. The principal that's at work here is the fact that we believe strongly that all pandemics are global events and its absolutely critical and essential that around the planet we come together, work together as you all know, to try and better collaborate a response.

Even though they're global events, the response will essentially be local. In every town, in every community, in every village, and in every state, around this planet, in the presence of a pandemic, most of the response will indeed be local.

Therefore, what we're doing now, across the United States, is visiting each of the fifty states, each of the territories, each of the large cities. We are going in person, the Secretary Michael Levitt, in person, in each State, as he meets with Governors. He stands with the Governor in front of cross-cutting community representatives, people from banking, people from our education system, people from hospitals and from the business community, trying to encourage the non-usual, the non-traditional planners to get engaged. As we reach out to faith-based settings, and teachers, we're asking them, "What would you do in your setting if a pandemic were to occur?".

I think there's a recognition, and it does have global implications that the ubiquitous nature of a pandemic is such that when all is said and done, each of us as much as we will be partnering, and working and supporting each other, each of us is going to have to stand ready as an individual entity, whether that be an organization or a sector, or a community or indeed a state. I think it's important that I re-stress this government's, and our department's commitment to the global partnership that has to occur in order for us to prepare for and eventually if it ever occurs respond to a pandemic.

The Secretary, the President, I know the Department, and all of my colleagues, stand as committed as ever and we're hoping not only our actions but also the actions of Congress and its appropriations, and the many other solid and tangible steps that we're taking to reach out and build those partnerships, CDC, technical advice, our Department of State, and many others, working with each of you. We're hoping that is evidence of our commitment to the global partnership and our intent to move forward with it.

Conference Sponsored by the American Consulate General in Hong Kong, the American Interest Section in Taiwan and the U. S. Department of State, IIP

Return to “Videos”