Fire Starter-Dryer Lint

Includes starters that can be made from batteries, matches, char cloth, rope and more!
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Fire Starters

Post by Readymom »

Here's a way to start some of those fires. I have figured out a GREAT fire-starter with my dryer lint. My kids use them to start their fires in our fire-pit, in the summer/fall. Here's what I do:

You need:
  • -TP rolls OR Paper Towel Rolls that you cut in half or thirds.
    -The wax paper bag from cereal boxes, cake boxes, frozen waffle boxes (basically any wax paper bags you can can reuse)
    -Dryer Lint
    *Used Fabric Softener sheets, if you use them
For large wax paper bags, cut the bags in half. (you'll have a bottom half that has one sealed end and a top half that has both ends open and that's oke!)

(1) Take enough dryer lint that would lightly-moderatley fill a TP roll and place it on one of the *fabric softener sheets. Stretch the lint out on the dryer sheet and roll it up, so that it will be a little log shape.

*If you don't have a dryer sheet to use, just go to the next step

(2) Place the little wrapped lint log into the wax paper bag (1/2 bag). Roll it Fold up the sides of the wax paper bag so it

(3) Wrap the wax bag around the lint to make a little log that you slip into the TP roll: Fold your sides in first, then roll the bag around the lint. (This is why is oke having two open ends on one of the bags, when you cut a big bag in half).

(4) Slip your wax paper/lint log into the TP roll, so the TP roll is a sleeve around the wax paper/lint log.

The combination of the paper TP roll that quickly catches fire from your match, the wax on the paper and the flammable lint makes a nice combination that has never let us down in getting those fires started quickly.

Plus, I like the fact that I'm 'recycling' three or four different things I'd usually be throwing in the trash!

** I'm thinking that, if you wanted to, you could pop a vaseline-cotton ball into one end, too. We've had good luck w/out doing that, but it's an option.

We store the fire starter logs in the long plastic bags that our newspaper gets delivered in. It's just the right width.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Fire Starters

Post by Readymom »

Egg-Carton-Dryer Lint Starter

Practically Free Egg Carton Dryer Lint Firestarters
http://selfrelianceadventures.blogspot.com/2009/02/practically-free-egg-carton-dryer-lint.html

Image Now I know after you read my firestarting post you wanted some of the egg carton firestarters for yourself, didn't you? Well, I'll sell you some of mine, or you can just make some of your own for almost no cost!

Here's what you'll need: ---Continued at link, above ---

Return to “Fire Starters”