Trash: Flies! :(

Trash, alternate 'Pottie' ideas and Waste Management ideas
Readymom
Site Admin

Trash: Flies! :(

Post by Readymom »

Originally posted by (Rock) at Fluwiki:

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

Don't forget the flys!!! If there is no garbage collection, garbage will collect in streets and back yards. You are going to want to make sure you have screens, fly traps, etc. I don't recommend sprays in the house, as you will be breathing in those chemicals for quite some time.

:arrow: (Anon Gardener )
Did anyone watch the Texas Ranch House series on PBS? The ranchers had HUGE DISGUSTING fly problems in their dwelling and food preparation areas because they didn't keep relocating the animal manure and garbage to places further away from their home (they were living with 1867 technology so they didn't have aluminum screen for their windows & doors although they might have gotten away with tacking up some cheesecloth or netting over the windows). That and they got lazy about promptly cleaning food preparation messes --- EWWWW!

The take-home lesson from this will be to dump your trash (or manure) well away from your dwelling and to keep your food preparation items as clean as possible. Also if you keep livestock (like cows, pigs, sheep, horses, etc), try not to let it hang out too close to the house area so that flies are not attracted to the house by way of their attraction to the animals and their manure

BTW out here on our farmette in rural VA, I have placed containers of lavender plants near the doors that lead you into the house (i.e. front door, back door, kitchen door, door to walk-out basement, flanking the garage door, etc) to keep the number of flies down, especially the curious ones that want to come into the house and feast on human and pet food. Flies apparently do not like the smell of lavender and don't hang out near our doors as much. Therefore you could plant lavender in containers and in the ground near doors. Lavender likes more sun than shade and is a perenial (i.e. it will come back year after year).
Last edited by Readymom on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated Link

Return to “Sanitation”