Trash: Burn Barrels

Trash, alternate 'Pottie' ideas and Waste Management ideas
Readymom
Site Admin

Trash: Burn Barrels

Post by Readymom »

Originally posted by BroncoBill at FluWiki
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

Many years ago in California, burn barrels were legal in residential backyards. My dad just got an old steel 55-gallon drum that was closed on one end. He cut 4 holes about 2×2 inches in size around the bottom edge, then he set it up on top of several flat fire bricks. To keep flaming debris from flying out, he got some half-inch chicken wire and cut it to fit over the top, overlapping the edges about 2-3 inches.

I would imagine you could find used drums at mechanics garages, service stations, etc., but make sure they weren’t used for motor oil storage. And make sure they’re steel…take a magnet with you. If they are anything but steel, the magnet won’t stick.

:arrow: (Okieman)
A caution if you use a burn barrel that you have to cut the top off: Check to see what the barrel once contained, and make sure it was not some sort of flammable solvent (or something similar) that could be an explosion hazard. If you use a barrel that once held something flammable, fill it up with water such that there is no air space left. Then you can use a cold chisel to cut the top off and cut holes along the bottom. If you can, buy one that you do not have to chisel off the top even if it costs more.

In urban areas, it will be best to rinse out all food stuff containers (as long as running water continues) and crush them. Double bag the containers and store in the garage, attic, etc. until trash pickup resumes.

:arrow: (Janet)
In my stockpiling, I am only purchasing true paper plates and cups. No plastic. In this way, it can be burned.

:arrow: (Nearly Ready)
We've used a burn barrel for years out on the country. I like a big 55 gallon drum, but a 35 gal. galvanized trash can also works fine. Just be sure you don't burn under overhanging tree limbs or eaves. Make sure to be fire safe. Empty ashes only if 100% cold. Bury ashes or work into earth. No problem.
Last edited by Readymom on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated Link
Readymom
Site Admin

Trash: Burn Barrel Safety!

Post by Readymom »

Originally posted by: (ssol) at Fluwiki
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

I have used a burn barrel in the past and learned that burning any kind of paper product is dangerous. It 'flakes' and becomes a hot, airborne ash/cinder very quickly. This is often how brush fires start. I use heavy and lighter gauge hardware cloth over the barrel to minimize this but it is not fool proof.
Last edited by Readymom on Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated Link
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Trash: Burn Barrels

Post by Readymom »

Trash Incinerator-Home Made-Great idea!

Sanitation
http://www.endtimesreport.com/sanitation.html

Go to the Sanitation article, at the above site ... scroll down about mid-way to see a brief description of how this block version of a burning barrel was made.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

How to Make a Burn Barrel – Burn Safe with Less Smoke
https://commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-a-burn-barrel/

These instructions will help you make your own burn barrel for a country property or for emergency trash disposal. There are also a couple of commercial burn barrel options you can buy at the end of the post. You don't need to “build a burn barrel” so much as assemble the right parts correctly to minimize smoke and ash. Love them or hate them, burn barrels are a part of country living. With the cost of dropping trash at local dumps going up, more and more people are returning to using burn barrels. People sometimes complain about the smoke and the smell of a burning barrel of trash, but if you burn correctly, smoke and odor should be minimal. ---CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Includes:
  • What is a burn barrel?
  • How do I make a burn barrel?
  • Where to Locate a Burn Barrel
  • Assembling the Burn Barrel
  • Burn Barrel Covers
  • What can I burn in a burn barrel?
  • DON'T BURN:
  • DO BURN:
  • Recycle and Compost
  • How do I use a burn barrel?
  • What do I do with the ashes and unburned contents in the barrel?
  • Other Burn Barrel Considerations
  • If You're Going to Burn, Burn Safely
  • Buy a Burn Barrel
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Burn Barrel 101: Why You Need One on Your Homestead
https://104homestead.com/burn-barrel-101/

Setting up a burn barrel on our homestead has been a game changer. Some ways we use it are obvious (brush, leaves, etc), but some ways we use our burn barrel are a little less commonplace.

One thing you need to be sure to look into before setting up a burn barrel is the laws not only for your state, but also your town. In some cases they are flat out illegal. Some places allow you to burn leaves and brush, but not trash. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Sanitation”