Light Sticks

LED's,Flashlights,Solar Lighting,Propane Camping Lanterns ... the alternate options to electricity are varied and discussions & information can be found here.
Readymom
Site Admin

Light Sticks

Post by Readymom »

http://science.howstuffworks.com/light-stick.htm

Since their invention 25 years ago, light sticks have become a Halloween staple. They're perfect as safety lights because they're portable, cheap and they emit a ghostly glow. Light sticks are also extremely popular on the rave scene (as are light necklaces, light glasses and light rope), and they make an ideal lamp for SCUBA divers and campers.
Readymom
Site Admin

Glow Sticks- additional Information

Post by Readymom »

WikipediA

Glow stick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glow_stick

A glow stick is a self-contained, short-term light-source. It consists of a translucent plastic tube containing isolated substances that, when combined, make light through chemiluminescence, so it does not require an external energy source. The light cannot be turned off and can be used only once. Glow sticks are often used for recreation, but may also be relied upon for light during military, police, fire, or emergency medical services operations. They are also used by military and police to mark "clear" areas. ---CONTINUED---
Reese

Light Sticks

Post by Reese »

I found these at my local Wal-mart & I purchased five 2 packs of Light Sticks or Glow Sticks for $1.86 per pack. They were in the camping area. I put a 2 pack in each one of our vehicles first aid kits and then the others in my stash of supplies.
Readymom
Site Admin

Cyalume sticks

Post by Readymom »

TheFarm.org

Cyalume sticks
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

Cyalume sticks are the safest form of indoor lighting available but very few people even know what they are. Cyalume sticks can be purchased at most sporting goods stores for about $2 per stick. They are a plastic stick about four inches in length and a half inch in diameter. To activate them, simply bend them until the glass tube inside them breaks, then shake to mix the chemicals inside and it will glow a bright green light for up to eight hours. Cyalume is the only form of light that is safe to turn on inside a home after an earthquake. One of the great dangers after a serious earthquake is caused by ruptured natural gas lines. If you flip on a light switch or even turn on a flashlight you run the risk of causing an explosion. Cyalume will not ignite natural gas. Cyalume sticks are so safe that a baby can even use them for a teether

Return to “Lights/Lighting”