Dehydrating Vegetables-General Information

Readymom
Site Admin

Dehydrating Vegetables-General Information

Post by Readymom »

Easy Dehydrated Vegetables - Cheaper & Stores Longer than Canned

Originally posted by jtg1969 , Avian Flu Talk
http://www.avianflutalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=964

I have learned an easy way to use your dehydrator to store vegetables cheaper and longer lasting than canned.

The batches I made for Y2K are still excellent!

Here is what I do:

1. Use an electric dehydrator with the plastic mesh tray liners so the small pieces won't fall through.

2. Buy bags of frozen vegetables (corn, peas, mixed, etc) and spread on trays (frozen vegetables are already blanched so you don't have to waste time doing it yourself!)

3. When they are thoroghly dry, allow to cool and store in mason jars (vacuum seal if possible) OR my favorite way is to funnel it into 2 liter bottles, pop in an O2 absorber and put the lid on.

4. To use, simply soak in some water overnight or add to soup( add a little extra water), etc. when you cook it.

:?: do you have to thraw the frozen vegtables before dehydration, seems like the dehydrator would have to work longer if frozen stuff used.

:arrow: I do not defrost the vegetables myself. Usually they are done within 24 hours. You can expreiment with different kinds of frozen vegetables and even fruits! Just remember you need the plastic mesh tray liners so the small pieces do not fall through- the trays themselves usually have llarge slots in them.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Dehydrating Vegetables-General Information

Post by Readymom »

Vegetable Dehydrating – How to Dry Vegetables for Storage
https://commonsensehome.com/vegetable-dehydrating/

Vegetable dehydrating is an easy way to store vegetables for long term use. During harvest season, my dehydrators live on my kitchen counter. Herbs, greens, fruits, veggies – everything get dried and neatly tucked away for use year round. This post covers basic instructions for vegetable dehydrating to help you dry vegetables safely at home. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Dehydrating-Vegetables”