First Aid Supplies: A-Z

Readymom
Site Admin

First Aid Supplies: A-Z

Post by Readymom »

This list is a compilation from MANY different sites, so there is no link or source ...
  • AA lights w/ replacement lamp modules (2)
    ABD pads (15)
    alcohol wipes (15)
    antimicrobial towelettes (10)
    asherman chest seal (1)
    Bacitracin Packets (15)
    bandages:triagular (2)
    bandages:triangular (4)
    bandages-Ace type:(3", 4", 6") (3)
    bandaids: assorted (50)
    betadine swabstick packs (3 swabs/pack) (6)
    betadine wipes (10)
    blanket: mylar emergency blankets (2)
    bloodstopper bandages (2)
    BP cuff/stethoscope set (new) (1)
    bulky gauze rolls: 4x4 yd (20)
    burn bag (1)
    coban:2" (2) rolls
    cotton-tip applicators:sterile (5)
    eyewash: small bottle 4 oz (1)
    face shield/goggles (1)
    gauze: 4x4 (20) packs
    gloves: nitrile, size large (5) pairs
    gloves: vinyl, size large (10) pairs
    guedel airway size 2 (1)
    guedel airway size 3 (1)
    Irrigation set (includes bulb syringe, graduated plastic bottle)(1)
    light stick:battery operated (runs on 3 LR44 batteries - your choice of Red, Blue or Green, spare batteries included) (1)
    Mask: Laerdal Pocket CPR Mask: new, w/ hard case (1)
    maternity pads:sterile (10)
    medical tape: 1" (3) rolls
    medical tape: 2" (2) rolls
    micropore (1)
    minor instruments - nonsterile (needle driver, forceps, straight/curved clamps, scissors, scalpel handle) (2) packs
    oral airways (1) set
    pads,nonadherent : 2x3 (10)
    pen light (1)
    Petroleum Gauze dressings (4)
    pill vials: small-each would hold about 6 pills (8)
    plastic bottles (approx. 4 oz) for fluids - one w/ spray top (2)
    Purell hand sanitizer:small bottle of (1)
    quickclot is a good idea as well, in place of traumadex (below)
    sam splint (1)
    scalpel blades: sterile (10)
    scalpels: disposable sterile (2)
    scissors (1)
    splint:wire-ladder (1)
    steri-strips: 1/2", 1/4", 1/8" (10) packs
    surgical gloves:sterile (5) pairs
    suture kits:sterile (2) (each kit contains (10) 4x4 gauze, curved clamp, needle holder,forceps, iris scissors, sterile drape, 2 medicine cups)
    sutures:assorted,sterile) (10) packs
    tongue depressors:sterile (5)
    tourniquet (1)
    trauma shears (1) set
    traumadex is a good item, but a couple packages of quickclot is a good idea as well.
    Waterjel Dressing (1)
Readymom
Site Admin

serious trauma first aid

Post by Readymom »

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

:arrow: Original post was from "LMWatBullRun": -snip- . . . every serious prepper ought to have maxi-pads, tampons and Quik-Clot in their first aid bag to deal with very severe bleeding.

I have recently heard about a new product called "Celox" which is supposed to be even better than QuikClot, works in the cold and when any of a number of anti-clotting meds are circulating in the victim, and best of all is NOT exothermic, so it doesn't require metering of the amount applied.

The US military is using this in the sandbox, and I have apochryphal reports second hand that this stuff really works. I have ordered a modest supply to keep in my medic bags, but since I don't plan to inflict serious injuries on myself in the name of science, I was wondering whether anyone on this board has any experience with this product, and if so what your experience has been. Any takers?[/quote]

:arrow: "Cruiser": CELOXâ„¢ is the newest generation of emergency hemostatic agents. Simpler to use and safer than older technologies, CELOX granules quickly control even severe arterial bleeding. Just pour it in, pack it, and apply pressure. No specific training is required. CELOX is not exothermic and won't burn the victim or caregiver. And CELOX works in hypothermic conditions and clots Heparinized blood. CELOX is safe to use for the entire body including head, neck and chest wounds. Most importantly, CELOX can be used instantly and without hesitation as a fast, safe and simple emergency treatment for serious bleeding.
http://www.rescue-essentials.com/servlet/Categories?category=CELOX

Thanks for the heads up LMWBR, Amazon has it on sale...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KCLI2C[/quote]
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

:arrow: Original post from Edna Mode, from Pandemic Flu Information ": I have several books that I consider essential, including a really good first aid book.

(SNIP) ... From my notes, between the two books, here's what you should have in a well-stocked emergency medical kit

Bandaging/wound dressings:
Spryoflex 2x2 dressings
Spenco 2nd Skin burn dressing kit
Nu-Gauze 2 ply 3" x 3v
Coverlet bandage strips 1x3
Waterproof tape 1x15'
Sam Spling 36"
Elastic bandage 3" and 4"
Triple antibiotic, max strength with pramoxine
Hibiclens
Tetrahydrozoline ophthalmic drops
hydrocortisone cream 1%
Clotrimazole cream 2%
Cavit dental filling paste
Exam gloves (duh Smile )
Irrigation syringe
Sawyer extractor
Surgical kit (1 needle holder, 3-0 ethicon sutures x2, 5-0 ethicon sutures x1, 3-0 gut sutures)

Non-Rx meds:
Percogesic tablets (pain, fever, muscle spasm, sleep aid, anxiety, congestion--warning: has acetaminophen, which is very easy to OD)
Ibuprofen 200 mg tablets
Diphenhydramine (antihistamine, anti-anxiety, cough, muscle cramps, nausea, motion sickness)
Bisacodyl 5 mg tabs (constipation)
Loperamide 2 mg tablets (diarrhea)
Cimetidine 200 mg tabs (heartburn, some allergic reactions)
Multivitamins
Iron pills
Promethazine 25mg (can be bought from CanadaDrugs w/o Rx affordably)
Anakit (Rx)

Plus a whole list of Rx meds too long to type in.

Miscellaneous:
Thermometers
Gloves
Masks
Plastic bags
Antibacterial soap
Petroleum jelly
White vinegar
Sulfur
Scissors
Tweezers with pointed ends

Wilderness Medicine Outfitters offers classes on "Wilderness" survival in Coloradao and "throughout the country," which I think will be very translatable to a pandemic scenario.

I bought most of my supplies from MacGill Discount School Nurse Supplies. Very satisfied.

http://www.macgill.com/productDetail.aspx?product=30031

I also recommend CanadaDrugs for some Rx items that are, in Canada, OTC.
Last edited by Readymom on Mon May 25, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

feminine napkins/tampons and aloe plants

:arrow: "SaddleTramp":
(SNIP) ... And two things that a lot of med kit lists overlook are feminine napkins/tampons and aloe plants. The napkins make superb bandages, esp if you can find the old-fashioned ones with ties vs the panty-liner types. And tampons make great "plugs" for large puncture and bullet wounds, broken noses/nose bleeds, etc..

The aloe plants should be in everyone's kitchen already for emergency burn treatment. Just cut off a piece and squeeze the guts out of the leaf. Sometimes it helps if you slice the leaf open and then squeeze, but the fluid and bits of plant fiber can go directly onto the burn.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

QuikClot

:arrow: Original Post from "Medical Maven": quikclot for bleeding wounds.

(Can you really cauterize a leg or arm wound to stop really severe bleeding? Is it worth a try, if your life is draining away, and a surgeon is not at hand?).

:?: "De jure": Does anyone know how long you could keep QuikClot on a serious wound? Does it bind with the wound or would some sort of wound closure take place underneath it?

:arrow: "SaddleTramp": De Jure, I've never actually used "Quik Clot" as a specific product (although I do have some in my med kit), but I have used several other powder clotting products which might have been a generic version (Quick Stop, for example), so if your version of Quik Clot is a powder, you can expect this to happen:

You spray or dust it onto or into the wound, depending on how deep the wound is. (If you cant see into the wound and tell what/where the bottom is, you might have to enlarge it, esp if you have a foreign object to deal with. Remember, wounds heal SIDE to SIDE, not end to end. Make it big enough to do a proper inspection, cleaning and treatment job. If it requires suturing, trim the ragged and excess flesh so you can do a tight, clean suturing job.)

The clotting powder hits the blood and either stops it from flowing immediately, or it doesnt. If you have a heavy bleeding wound, it will just dilute and wash the powder away. Putting more on usually doesnt help, but worth a try if that's all you've got. The clotting powder doesnt bind with the wound in any way that I have noticed - it just clots the blood, hopefully forming a scab eventually. If you dislodge the powder blob(s), the wound can start bleeding again.

It is critical to remember that you will definitely need anti-biotics along with the clotting powder. The powder is NOT antiseptic.

Clotting powder is very useful, but it doesnt entirely replace pressure and suturing. I dont believe it would have any positive effect on something like a severed artery where blood pressure is so strong.

I have used it successfully on tail-docking and dew claw removal (along with pressure bandaging) on very young puppies and on human scrapes/abrasions and small cuts. (My husband is on coumadin - Id use anything I could get my hands on in an emergency and deal with the complications later.)

I understand the military has an antiseptic/clotting product that they use very liberally in major wounds (including abdominal and chest cavity injuries), and we have used a similar product on abdominal injuries and castrations on our horses - but the key thing is that it contains an antibiotic AND it was followed up with surgical attention, more antibiotics, drains, etc.

:arrow: "Medical Maven":
De jure,

What I have read in the past in Army journal articles is that a tourniquet, properly applied, greatly aids in the application of quikclot (with heavy bleeding). Then, after clearing away the excess blood and debris you apply the quikclot. You will finish by applying a pressure bandage.

Unfortunately, you eventually will need follow-up irrigation and surgery.

The immediate benefit that I can see from having quikclot is that you buy time, effective time. If you are part of a group in a firefight situation, you can continue to contribute. You could be the critical difference. But you may (or may not) survive the engagement longterm.

"The longer you can hold out, the better your chances" applies to the group as well as to the individual. There will be a finite number of these engagements until some societal equilibrium is established.

:!: "EMTim":
RE: What I have read in the past in Army journal articles is that a tourniquet, properly applied, greatly aids in the application of quikclot (with heavy bleeding).

Be extremely careful with tourniquets - they are the very last resort in stopping heavy bleeding. The blood down stream from the tourniquet will quickly become toxic and can cause cardiac arrest when the tourniquet is removed. If you have to use one, find some other way to control the bleeding quickly so that you can remove it.[/quote]

:arrow: "SaddleTramp":
EMTim and MM:

You are absolutely right re tourniquets - but most lay people (including myself) are just not all that competent to use one properly. My instructor pretty much said, when in doubt, only use a tourniquet as a very last resort and assume that you might very well lose the limb after all is said and done. (Tourniquets are ONLY used on extremities, so they dont come into play in head, neck or torso injuries.)

:arrow: "EMTim": In good times a tourniquet is a last resort - as you mentioned you may loose the limb, or even die as a result of blood toxicity. In desperate times though - who is going to amputate that limb? Tourniquets have to be seen as not only last resort, but extremely short duration, and I must admit that I don't know how long is safe. I can see the utility of stopping severe bleeding using one for maybe up to five or ten minutes but if you can't get the bleeding controlled without the tourniquet by then you really need to find more advanced care.[/quote]

:?: "De jure": Does anyone know how long you could keep QuikClot on a serious wound? Does it bind with the wound or would some sort of wound closure take place underneath it?

:arrow: "Medical Maven": De jure,

Z-Medica (which makes QuikClot) is now offering QuikClot Sport Silver sponges in 25 and 50 gram packets over at Cabelas.

This new variation of the QuikClot line gives you antibacterial protection by being impregnated with silver ions, and it is easier to use. You just press the sponge against the wound and keep it there until you can do a follow-up treatment. From the reviews given on the Cabelas site this looks like the "real deal". Definitely should be a carry item in your vehicle, at the very least, (even short of Armageddon).

Also, go to http://www.z-medica.com and look to the right of the page and click on "Product FAQs" right below the link to Cabelas. It gives you everything you needed to know (or could think to ask) about how to use Quik-Clot. It is highly fascinating stuff, but I would definitely go with the newer sponge or "sponge and silver" formulations. No household should be without this stuff, even if you think "Disneyland" is going to last forever. :D

:arrow: "c3jmp": folks might want to look into Celox... including folks on blood thinners..
http://www.celoxmedical.com/?page=sabnorm
Last edited by Readymom on Mon May 25, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Bandages

:arrow: Original Post from "SaddleTramp"

EMTim and MM:
(SNIP) ... Learn pressure points and how to use pressure bandages properly. And make sure you stash plenty of bleach, clean sheets, blankets, etc. to use for bandages.

Clean white socks and washclothes are excellent and cheap.

And for those of you who have access to veterinary supplies, get plenty of Gamgee (dense cotton wrap) and stretchable Vetwrap or something similar. Gamgee is often hard to find (I think http://www.jeffers.com has it sometimes) and it's not the same as just rolled cotton. We use it to actually stabilize splints, strains and sprains and protect major suturing on long bone injuries. Excellent stuff.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

HONEY

:arrow: Original post from "Medical Maven"--Natural Honey for wound dressing, (and especially burns).

--I strongly encourage stocking Organic Wildflower Honey, (which one can find at most Health Food Stores), and the Spice, Turmeric, (which one can find cheaply at Vietnamese groceries, Thai origin).

I just cured another scrape/infection that could have turned very nasty with a paste made from those ingredients. I make a very thick paste of turmeric and honey and place the paste on the pad of the bandage. Then after applying the bandage to the cleaned wound, burn, or infection I leave it on for a day before removing for the first check.

Certain types of honey have proven to be very effective anti-bacterials, (even versus MRSA). Honey has also been used very effectively with burns. And the Turmeric is a proven wound healer with great anti-inflammatory properties. And the shelf-life on both ingredients is years when properly stored
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: First Aid Supplies: A-Z

Post by Readymom »

US MARINE Resource

This is an extensive list of items that are included on a US Marine Ship. SCROLL DOWN to 'Appendix G' (near the end of the manual) to get to the list

From the Marine publication:
ImageTHE SHIP'S MEDICINE CHEST AND MEDICAL AID AT SEA DENTAL CARE AND EMERGENCIES- App G

http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/milmed/ships.pdf

SICKBAY AND MEDICINE CHEST

INTRODUCTION
This section contains a list of health care materials (consumable supplies, minor and major equipment, sets, and outfits). Additional items may be suggested in other sections. --- continued at link, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

First Aid Kit Supplies

First Aid Kit Supplies
By Rachel Woods, About.com Latter-day Saint Guide, http://lds.about.com
PDF Version: http://lds.about.com/library/bl/prepara ... id_kit.pdf

Your basic emergency/home storage should include a prepared kit of first aid supplies.
Notes:
= Update your first aid kit every six months (put a note in your calendar/planner) to
replenish and check all supplies. Expired or contaminated items should be replaced.
= Check with your family doctor for any specific medicines and supplies your family
might require for an emergency.
= Some items may leak or break open. Using tubes, plastic bottles, or Ziploc bags can
help prevent contamination.
= All supplies should be labeled and organized for quick and easy use.
= Supplies may be divided and organized into compartments or sections.
= You may include any other first aid items you feel would be useful or necessary.
= A condensed version of this first aid kit should also be included in your 72 hour kit.

*List compiled from, “Essentials of Home Production & Storage,” 1978, p 7-8.

Standard First Aid Kit Supplies*
= Container (metal, wood, or plastic) with
a fitted cover to store first aid kit
= First Aid Booklet (including CPR)
= Prescribed Medications
= Any critical medical family histories
= Adhesive
= Ammonia
= Bicarbonate of soda
= Calamine lotion (sunburn/insect bites)
= Diarrhea remedy
= Elastic bandages
= Gauze bandages
= Hot-water bottle
= Hydrogen peroxide
= Ipecac syrup (induces vomiting)
= Knife
= Matches
= Measuring cup
= Medicine dropper
= Needles
= Paper bags
= Razor blades
= Rubbing alcohol
= Safety pins
= Scissors
= Soap
= Thermometer
= Triangular bandages
= Tweezers
= Prescriptions
= Consecrated oil

Additional First Aid Kit Supplies
= Immunization records
= Medications for children (if applicable)
= Fever reducing medications such as:
-aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen
= Allergy medication
= Antibacterial wipes
= Antibiotic ointment
= Antiseptic wipes
= Band-aids
= Burn ointment/spray
= Cotton balls
= Cough syrup/cough drops
= Disposable blanket
= Eye drops/eye wash
= Feminine Hygiene
= Gloves
= Hand sanitizer
= Hot and cold instant packs
= Hydrocortisone cream
= Lip ointment (chap stick)
= Medical tape (waterproof & regular)
= Nail clippers
= Needle and thread
= Snake bite kit
= Sterile strips
= Sunscreen/lotion
= Tourniquet kit
= Vaseline
= Water purification tablets
= Other:
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

:!: :!: Comprehensive List!

Original post by "Jerry D Young" at American Preppers Network:

First Aid Checklist

This is something I came up with over the years of doing research. I'm not a doctor, EMT, nurse, or any other medical type person. These are simply my thoughts on what I would want available for use in the aftermath of a major disaster. Please note that much of the list is equipment and supplies to have for professional medical personnel to use, NOT for someone just generally familiar with basic first-aid. (No, I don't have everything myself. Yet.)

Household Only-Aid Medical Kit
  • Part # 1: Medical library
    Part # 2: Household use general first-aid kit
    Part # 3: Over the counter medicines
    Part # 4: Dressings and Bandages
    Part # 5: Dental basic kit
    Part # 6: Pregnancy, birthing & infant care kit
    Part # 7: Pediatric specific kit
    Part # 8: MD/GP's, Dentist's & Surgeon's instruments and supplies
    Part # 9: Prescriptions
    Part # 10: Convalescent & invalid care equipment & supplies
    Part # 11: Quarantine, infectious diseases & Hazmat kit
    Part # 12: Funeral & corpse handling equipment
    Part # 13: Herbal & mineral remedies equipment & supplies
    Part # 14: Veterinary kit
    Part # 15: Medical rescue & transport kit
    Part # 16: Specialty health items
Part # 1: Medical library
  • Red Cross First-aid handbook
    The Merck Manual Volume 1: General Medicine
    The Merck Manual Volume 2: OB/GYN/Pediatrics/Genetics)
    Physician's Desk Reference (Prescription Drugs)
    Physician's Desk Reference Consumer's Guide to Non-Prescription Drugs
    Black's Medical Dictionary
    Grey's Anatomy
    Emergency War Surgery
    Ship's Medicine and Medical Aid At Sea
    Where There Is No Doctor
    Where There Is No Dentist
    Do It Yourself Medicine (Ragnar Benson)
    Survivalist's Medicine Chest (Ragnar Benson)
    Magic And Medicine of Plants (Readers Digest)
    The American Medical Association Home Medical Encyclopedia
    The Home Remedies Handbook (John H Renner)
    Nutritional & dietary guidebooks
    Alternative medicine books
    (acupuncture, acupressure, hypnosis, naturopathy, herbalism, etc.)
Part # 2: Household use general first-aid kit
  • Home General First-Aid Kit

storage container/shoulder bag
    manual
    penlight (w/extra batteries & bulbs)
    pen (that will write under all conditions w/extra refills)
    writing pad (waterproof)
    patient tags (filled out and attached to patient for later reference)
    patient data & record cards (blank cards & pre-filled cards for members of household or group: allergies, chronic illness, previous treatments, etc.)

ring cutter
    pocket knife
    matches, lighter, tinder, candle (for fire making)
    canteen & water purification tablets
    zip-lock bags

soap
    sponge
    folding basin
    paper towels
    Hibiclens Antiseptic surgical scrub (liquid)

vinyl gloves
    surgical gloves
    surgical masks
    safety glasses/goggles

resuscitation bag
    space blanket
    ammonia capsules
    tourniquet
    eye wash kit w/extra bottles of eye wash
    Cutter snake-bite kit
    Brown Recluse spider bite kit
    compact dental kit
    compact birthing kit

tissues
    sanitary napkins
    safety pins
    needle w/thread
    dental floss

fever thermometer (anal, oral, & forehead strip)
    hypothermia thermometer
    hyperthermia thermometer
    stethoscope
    sphygmometer (blood pressure cuff)
    Otoscope (ear & nose viewing instrument)
    stop watch

razor blade/x-acto knife/scalpel/scalpel handle w/blades
    bandage scissors
    EMT shears
    tongue depressors
    wound cleansing wipes
    blood sponges
    cotton swabs
    cotton balls
    tweezers
    ear & nose syringes

Providone Iodine/Betadine prep pads
    1 needle holder
    2 curved hemostats
    2 straight hemostats
    1 operating scissors
    1 bandage scissors
    1 folding general purpose scissors
    1 splinter forceps
    1 general purpose forceps
    1 Littaner suture scissors
    3 to 15 sutures (5-0 nylon, 3-0 nylon, 3-0 gut)
    1 to 3 # 10 scalpels
    1 to 3 # 11 scalpels

first-aid ointment (Triple Antibiotic ointmemt)
    Bandaids (finger-tip, knuckle, butterfly, strips, pads, knee/elbow, eye)
    Asherman chest seal or plastic wrap (for sucking chest wounds)
    aluminum foil (for sucking chest wounds)
    adhesive tape
    sterile gauze pads (2", 3", 4", 6", trama pads)
    gauze bandage rolls
    Ace bandages
    triangle bandages
    head bandages
    eye bandages
    Field dressing bandages
    medicated gel skin dressing
    medicated gauze bandages (for abrasions & 1st degree burns)
    Vaseline gauze bandages (for 2nd & 3rd degree burns)
    large area trauma pads
    Spenco Skin Guard padding (improved moleskin)
    Benzoin compound tincture (sticky)(to toughen skin)(to help hold bandages)
    Bandnet Bandage holders (finger, head, knee, elbow, hand, foot)
    Spenco Adhesive knit (foot & hand protectant)
    wire splint
    SAM splints
    finger splints
    eye protective cups
    eye patch
    slings
    air splints (arm, hand, lower leg, full leg)
    joint braces & supports (neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, back, knee, ankle)
    washable, sterilizable reuseable cloth bandages (w/plenty of safety pins)
    (Roll, pads, trama pads, large area pads, triangle, head, eye, slings)

dosage measuring dispensers
    paper cups
    plastic spoons
    eye droppers

vaporizer tea kettle w/breathing mask/hood
    enema/douche bag
    ice bag
    hot water bottle
    cold packs - freezable, reusable (several sizes and shapes)
    cold packs - chemical, single use
    heat packs - heatable, reusable (several sizes and shapes)
    heat packs - chemical, single use
    surgical tubing
    irrigation syringe
    irrigation solution
    alcohol swabs
    heat balm
    rubbing alcohol
    hydrogen peroxide (check with your doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)
    petroleum jelly
    skin lotion
    vinegar
    baking soda
    table salt
    Epsom salt
    lip balm
    toothache ointment
    sweet oil
    ear wash
    Aloe-vera juice burn ointment
    mild saline burn irrigation solution

(The following medications in single dose units/small quantity packaging)

Rehydration tablets/powder
    sports type vitamin/mineral/electrolyte drink
    Burn liquid-loss replacement drink (Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder)
    aspirin base pain killer (favorite brand)
    non-aspirin pain killer (favorite brand)
    prescription pain reliever (preferably to ease pain but not dull senses)
    throat lozenges/cough drops (favorite brand)
    cough medication (liquid)(favorite brand)
    cold remedy (liquid/tablet)(favorite brand)
    decongestant (topical inhalant)(Vick's Vapor Rub)
    PMS control medication (favorite brand)

Antacid (Dimacid)
    Laxative (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)
    Pain/muscle relaxant/tranquilizer (Percogesic tablets)
    Antihistamine (Chlorpheniramine Maleate, 4mg tablets)
    Decongestant/vasoconstrictor (Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, 30mg tablets)
    Decongestant (Afrin nasal spray)
    Anti-nausea/motion (Meclizine hydrochloride, 25mg tablets)
    Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea (Pepto-Bismol tablets)
    Eye ointment (Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic)
    Eye anti-irritant (Tetrahydrozline drops)
    Ear drops (Schein Otic drops)
    Anti-fungal (Tinactin cream)
    Anti-inflammation/anti-itch (Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream)
    Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic (Dibucaine 1% Ointment)
    Antibiotic ointment (Triple Antibiotic Ointment)
    Skin healant ointment (Vitamin A & D ointment)
    Sun screen (Zinc oxide ointment)
    Vomit inducer (Syrup of Ipecac)(Check with your doctor. This has fallen out of favor)

(Plus any additional specific disease/ailment requirements needed on a
    regular or semi regular basis by any member of the family)

Over the counter medicines (multi-dose containers)(detail listing)

Use Form Name
    Notes

Pain (non-aspirin) Oral Favorite brand
    Throat lozenges/cough drops Oral Favorite brand
    Cough medication (liquid) Oral Favorite brand
    Cold remedy (liquid/tablet) Oral Favorite brand
    Salt tablets Oral Favorite brand
    PMS control medication Oral Favorite brand
    Decongestant Inhalant Vicks Vapor Rub

Pain/anti-inflammation Oral Aspirin, Enteric Coated 5grn tablets
    Pain/muscle relaxant/tranquilizer Oral Percogesic tablets
    (325mg acetaminophen w/30mg phenyltoloxamine citrate)

Antihistamine Oral Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg tablets
    Decongestant/vasoconstrictor Oral Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg tablets
    Decongestant Inhalant Afrin nasal spray
    (Oxymetazoline hydrochloride 0.05%)

Antacid Oral Dimacid tablets
    Anti-nausea/motion Oral Meclizine hydrochloride 25mg tablets
    Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea Oral Pepto-Bismol tablets
    (Bismuth subsalicylate)(no sugar)

Laxative Oral Bisacodyl 5mg tablets
    (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)(Does not enter milk of nursing mothers)

Eye ointment Topical Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic
    Eye anti-irritant Drops Tetrahydrozline drops
    (Sterile solution of tetrahydrozoline HC1 .05%, sodium borate, boric acid, sodium chloride, benzalkonium chloride .01%, ethylene diamine tetraacetate .1%)

Ear drops Drops Schein Otic drops
    (Formulation of chloroxlenol, henzalkonlum chloride, acetic acid & glycerine)

Anti-fungal Topical Tinactin cream (1% tolnaftate cream)
    Anti-inflammation/anti-itch Topical Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream
    Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic Topical Dibucaine 1% Ointment
    Antibiotic ointment Topical Triple Antibiotic Ointment
    (Per gram: bacitracin-400 units, neomycin sulfate-5mg, polymyxin B sulfate-5000 units)

Skin healant ointment Topical Vitamin A & D ointment
    (Lanolin-petrolatum base)(1st degree burns, diaper rash, dry skin)

Sun screen Topical Zinc oxide ointment
    Burn liquid loss replacement drink Oral Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder
    (Mix w/water & drink after burns to help replace surface liquid loss)

Vomit inducer (after poisoning) Oral Syrup of Ipecac (check with your doctor.
    This has fallen out of favor)
    (Not for use if strychnine, corrosives (alkalis [lye]) or strong acids),
    petroleum distillates such as kerosene, gasoline, coal oil, fuel oil,
    paint thinner or cleaning fluid have been ingested)
Part # 3: Over the counter medicines (multi-dose containers)
  • Use Form Name
    Notes

Pain (non-aspirin) Oral Favorite brand
    Throat lozenges/cough drops Oral Favorite brand
    Cough medication (liquid) Oral Favorite brand
    Cold remedy (liquid/tablet) Oral Favorite brand
    Salt tablets Oral Favorite brand
    PMS control medication Oral Favorite brand
    Decongestant Inhalant Vicks Vapor Rub

Pain/anti-inflammation Oral Aspirin, Enteric Coated 5grn tablets
    Pain/muscle relaxant/tranquilizer Oral Percogesic tablets
    (325mg acetaminophen w/30mg phenyltoloxamine citrate)

Antihistamine Oral Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg tablets
    Decongestant/vasoconstrictor Oral Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg tablets
    Decongestant Inhalant Afrin nasal spray
    (Oxymetazoline hydrochloride 0.05%)

Antacid Oral Dimacid tablets
    Anti-nausea/motion Oral Meclizine hydrochloride 25mg tablets
    Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea Oral Pepto-Bismol tablets
    (Bismuth subsalicylate)(no sugar)

Laxative Oral Bisacodyl 5mg tablets
    (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)(Does not enter milk of nursing mothers)

Eye ointment Topical Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic
    Eye anti-irritant Drops Tetrahydrozline drops
    (Sterile solution of tetrahydrozoline HC1 .05%, sodium borate, boric acid, sodium chloride, benzalkonium chloride .01%, ethylene diamine tetraacetate .1%)

Ear drops Drops Schein Otic drops
    (Formulation of chloroxlenol, henzalkonlum chloride, acetic acid & glycerine)

Anti-fungal Topical Tinactin cream (1% tolnaftate cream)
    Anti-inflammation/anti-itch Topical Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream
    Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic Topical Dibucaine 1% Ointment
    Antibiotic ointment Topical Triple Antibiotic Ointment
    (Per gram: bacitracin-400 units, neomycin sulfate-5mg, polymyxin B sulfate-5000 units)

Skin healant ointment Topical Vitamin A & D ointment
    (Lanolin-petrolatum base)(1st degree burns, diaper rash, dry skin)

Sun screen Topical Zinc oxide ointment
    Burn liquid loss replacement drink Oral Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder
    (Mix w/water & drink after burns to help replace surface liquid loss)

Vomit inducer (after poisoning) Oral Syrup of Ipecac (Check with you doctor. This has
    fallen out of favor.)
    (Not for use if strychnine, corrosives (alkalis [lye]) or strong acids),
    petroleum distillates such as kerosene, gasoline, coal oil, fuel oil,
    paint thinner or cleaning fluid have been ingested)
Part # 4: Dressings and Bandages
  • medicated gel skin dressing
    Wire splint
    Air splints (arm, hand, lower leg, full leg)
    Finger splints
    SAM Splints
    Protective eye cups
    Sling
    Joint braces & supports (neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, back, knee, ankle)
    eye patch
    Benzoin compound tincture (sticky to toughen skin to help hold bandages)
    Field dressing bandages
    sanitary napkins
    adhesive tape
    blood sponges
    gauze bandages
    triangle bandages
    head bandages
    eye bandages
    Ace Bandages
    sterile gauze pads
    Blood clotting bandages
    large area trauma pads
    mild saline burn irrigation solution
    Washable, sterilizable reusable cloth bandages (w/plenty of safety pins)
    (Roll, pads, trauma pads, large area pads, triangle, head, eye, slings)
Part # 5: Dental basic kit
  • dental inspection mirror
    patient bib
    mouth suction syringe
    mouth rinse bottle w/spout
    spit pan
    dental pick
    dental mirror
    #304 elevator
    #151 forceps
    #150 forceps
    explorer
    toothache drops
    ivory scaler
    spoone excavator
    filing instrument
    cement spatula
    cotton
    tweezers
    gauze
    bleeding control gauze
    temporary filling cement & filling material (clove oil & powdered zinc oxide)
    mixing dish & spatula
    denture repair cement
    orabase
    eugenol or oil of cloves
    powdered zinc oxide
    dental wax.
    salt for rinsing mouths
    tongue depressors
Part # 6: Pregnancy, birthing & infant care kit
  • Pre-Pregnancy/Pregnancy use items
    contraceptives
    pregnancy home testing kits
    pregnancy vitamins & nutrition supplements
    morning sickness bags (barf bags)
    natural childbirth manuals

Birthing/delivery aids (reusable items)
    comfort support pillows
    blanket
    towels
    washcloth
    small sponge
    folding basin
    fetal stethoscope
    stop watch

Birthing kit (single use - have several)
    Large square of plastic or or large plastic bag
    Soap
    Cleansing towellettes
    1 pencil/pen
    4 adhesive tape ID strips
    1 patient delivery gown
    2 attendant delivery gowns
    5 surgical masks
    5 pairs of surgical gloves
    1 36" x 36" receiving blanket
    2 diapers
    1 sanitary napkin support belt
    4 wrapped sanitary napkins
    1 sterilized scissors/scalpel/razor blade
    4 sterilized umbilical tie tapes
    4 sterilized cotton balls
    1 sterilized eye, nose & throat clearing syringe
    1 bottle sterile eye wash
    4 sterilized diaper safety pins
    1 3" gauze roll bandage
    6 4" gauze compresses
    (The sterilized items to be carried in a sterilized package)
    (Complete package carried in the square of plastic or plastic bag)

Infant care items

Baby bag
    Diapers
    Diaper safety pins
    Rubber pants
    Bottles & nipples
    Formula, formula mix & distilled water or milk & additives
    Infant vitamins & supplements
    Baby wipes
    Baby powder
    Baby oil
    Diaper rash ointment
    Blankets
    Pacifiers
    Thermometer (forehead or anal)
    Safety seat/carrier
Part # 7: Pediatric specific kit
  • storage container
    ailment explanation/indication dolls & diagrams
    distracting/occupying toys & games
    good behavior rewards
    children's fever thermometers
    non-sting first-aid ointment
    Bandaids (children's decorated versions)
    smaller tongue depressors
    smaller finger splints
    decorative/festive paper cups
    plastic spoons
    smaller ear & nose syringes
    extra syrup of ipecac (check with your doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)
    toothache ointment
    children's eye wash bottle w/extra bottles of wash
    children's eye drops
    children's ear wash
    children's ear drops
    children's nasal spray
    children's lip balm
    children's pain killer
    children's laxative
    children's diarrhea medication
    children's antacid
    children's cough medicine
    children's cold remedy
    safety seat/carrier
    (Plus any additional children's specific disease/ailment requirements
    needed on a regular or semi regular basis by any member of the family)
Part # 8: MD/GP's, Surgeon's & Dentist's instruments and supplies
  • (To be used by a physician in post disaster situations when doctor's
    own supplies & equipment are in short supply or nonexistent)
    Writing pen
    Writing pad
    Patient record cards
    Patient record tags
    Pen light
    Microscope w/blood typing & testing kit
    Surgical gloves
    Surgical masks
    Safety glasses/goggles
    Hibiclens antiseptic surgical scrub (liquid)
    dentist's head band light w/reflector
    dental inspection mirror
    dental probe
    dental picks
    dental rasp
    dental hammer
    dental chisel
    dental scalpels
    dental Novacaine syringe
    set of tooth extraction tools
    #304 elevator
    #151 forceps
    #150 forceps
    Fever thermometers (anal, oral, & forehead strip)
    Hypothermia thermometer
    Hyperthermia thermometer
    Stop watch
    Stethoscope
    Sphygmometer (blood pressure cuff)
    ring cutter
    Cast forming material
    Portable oxygen tank & mask
    Resuscitation bag
    Tracheal airway tubes
    Suction tubes & pump
    IV/transfusion needles and tubing
    Sterilizing baking trays
    Sterilizing boiling pots
    Stainless steel surgical trays & bowls
    Blood sponges
    Syringes
    1 paramedics shears
    1 bandage scissors
    1 splinter forceps (tweezers)
    1 operating scissors
    1 needle holder
    2 curved hemostats
    2 straight hemostats
    6 to 30 sutures w/attached needles (5-0 nylon, 3-0 nylon, 3-0 gut)
    2 to 10 # 10 disposable scalpels (or 2 scalpel handles w/extra blades)
    2 to 10 # 11 disposable scalpels (or 2 scalpel handles w/extra blades)
    (Additional supplies of surgical materials as budget & space allow)
Part # 9: Prescriptions
  • Normal supply of current use prescriptions
    Normal supply of constant use non-prescription items (Blood/urine test strips, etc.)

3-day reserve supply of current use prescriptions & constant use non-prescription items
    14-day reserve supply of current use prescriptions & constant use non-prescription items
    30-day reserve supply of current use prescriptions & constant use non-prescription items

Post disaster emergency-use-only prescriptions
    (Returned to doctor in sealed container periodically for inspection to verify non-abuse)
    (Upon expiration date returned to doctor for disposal and issuance of new prescription)

Syringes (in areas where prescriptions are required)
    Prescription dental Novocaine (injectable)
    Prescription local anesthetic (injectable)
    Prescription multi-use narcotic (Codeine)(oral/injectable)
    Prescription severe pain reliever (oral/injectable)
    Prescription muscle relaxant (oral/injectable)
    Prescription tranquilizer (oral/injectable)
    Prescription broad spectrum antibiotic (oral/injectable)
    IV solutions & equipment (D5W, saline, Ringer's solution, glucose, blood expander, blood plasma)
    Other items as personal physician recommends and suggests for post disaster use
Part # 10: Convalescent & invalid care equipment & supplies
  • Privacy screen
    Gowns
    Incontinent briefs
    Enema/douche bag
    Bed pan
    Bed urinal
    Vomit pail
    Rubber/plastic bed sheeting
    Bed rails
    Traction rack w/weights, cables & attachment harnesses
    IV support stand
    Patient bed restraints
    Walking cane
    Walker
    Crutches
    Wheelchair
    Rubbing alcohol
    Vinegar
    Petroleum jelly
    Skin lotion
    Sponge bath pan, wash cloth & towels
    Tray w/water pitcher & glass
    Hot water bottles
    Non-electric heating pads (sand filled leather/cloth bags)
    Vaporizer tea kettle w/breathing hood/mask/tent
    Ice bags
    Freezable cold packs
    Oxygen tank & mask
    Alarm clock
    Medication reminder/dispenser container
Part # 11: Quarantine, infectious diseases & Hazmat kit
  • Surgical gloves
    Surgical masks
    Safety glasses/goggles
    Rubber gloves
    Gas mask
    Rubber boots
    Tyvek/hazmat coveralls w/attached hood & booties
    Providone Iodine prep pads
    Commercial Disinfectant
    Acid & Alkali neutralizing chemicals
    Broom
    Dustpan
    Whisk broom
    Dusting brush (soft bristle paint brush)
    Pans & cleaning sponges
    Buckets & scrub brushes
    Heavy duty garbage bags
    Shovel
    Warning/Marking sign kit
    Sign/placard material
    Indelible marker
    Heavy duty double stick tape
    Staple gun w/staples
    Hammer/hatchet w/nails
    Wooden stakes
Part # 12: Funeral & corpse handling equipment
  • Record book w/pen
    Death certificates
    Body bags w/attached ID tags
    Toe tags
    Personal effects bags w/attached ID tags
    Surgical gloves
    Surgical masks
    Safety glasses/goggles
    Tyvek coveralls w/attached hood & booties
    Household Disinfectant
    Bucket & scrub brush
    Shovel
    Lowering straps
    Temporary grave markers w/attached ID tags
    Attachable faith emblems for markers
    Bible/Koran/Torra/Prayer book
Part # 13: Herbal & mineral remedies equipment & supplies
  • Herbal & Mineral remedy hand books & references
    Map marked w/known sources of useful plants and rock & mineral deposits
    Herb garden
    Mineral & rock garden
    Collection equipment
    plant ID guide books
    tree ID guide books
    mineral & rock ID guide books
    mineral & rock comparison samples
    pen, pad, & location maps
    collection bag ID tags/labels
    Zip-lock collection bags
    cotton drawstring collection bags
    string w/threading needle
    safety glasses
    plastic gloves
    leather gloves
    dust filter mask
    field knife
    folding saw
    folding shovel
    rock hammer
    rock pick
    rock chisels
    pry bar/scraper
    mortar & pestal
    non-metallic transfer spoons
    2x - 10x magnifying glass
    mineral test kit
    case
    2 glass eyedroppers
    vial of nitric acid
    vial of hydrochloric acid
    set of porcelain tile streak plates
    hardness tester

Component preparation equipment
    cutting board
    juice press
    oil press
    nonmetallic holding bowls
    plastic gloves
    dust masks
    knives
    wood rasp
    small saw
    hammer/hatchet
    mesh/net drying bags
    chisel
    wire brush
    canvas mineral crushing bag
    3# - 5# mineral crushing sledge
    concrete or steel crushing base
    mesh screen/sifter
    nonmetallic sifting collection plate
    non-ferrous needle (large darning needle)
    non-ferrous tweezers
    small dusting brush
    mortar & pestle
    plastic transfer scoops & spoons

Component storage equipment
    opaque storage cabinet in dry & cool (but non-freezing) area of residence
    ID tags/labels & pen
    glass bottles/jars (clear & opaque brown)
    glass jar lids (clear & opaque brown) w/rubber gaskets
    plastic jar lids
    wax lid liners (for long term storage)(may substitute plastic wrap)
    glass bottle stoppers
    rubber bottle stoppers
    Zip-lock bags
    cotton drawstring storage bags
    net/mesh storage bags
    string w/threading needle
    ceramic bowls w/lids
    wooden bowls/boxes w/lids

Remedy formulation equipment
    Record/data book w/pen
    ID tags/labels
    fresh water (distilled) to make infusions, teas, & pastes
    vegetable shortening or lard to make ointments & salves
    Beeswax to make salves (also has medicinal properties)
    vegetable oil to make plasters
    dry clay dust to make plasters
    gentle oil to make lotions
    pure grain alcohol to make extracts
    rosemary oleoresin (used as a preservative
    empty gelatin capsules
    small set of cooking pots (stainless steel & glass)
    nonmetallic mixing bowls & beakers (ceramic & glass)
    nonmetallic measuring spoons & cups (glass, wood, plastic)
    nonmetallic mixing spoons & spatulas (wood, plastic)
    nonmetallic transferring spoons & spatulas (wood, plastic)
    Cheese cloth

Remedy storage equipment
    opaque storage cabinet in dry & cool (but non-freezing) area of residence
    ID tags/labels & pen
    glass bottles/jars (clear & opaque brown)
    glass jar lids (clear & opaque brown) w/rubber gaskets
    plastic jar lids
    wax lid liners (for long term storage)(may substitute plastic wrap)
    glass bottle stoppers
    rubber bottle stoppers
    glass bottles (clear & opaque brown) w/eye dropper tops
    ceramic bowls w/lids
    wooden bowls w/lids
    dusting socks w/storage boxes
    mesh/net storage bags
    cotton drawstring storage bags
    Remedy use equipment
    patient record cards
    use, dosage & effectiveness record book w/pen
    eye droppers
    spreader spatulas (wood, plastic)
    dispensing/dosage measuring spoons & cups
    tea pots (nonmetallic)
    incense burner w/breathing hood/mask
    vaporizer tea kettle w/breathing hood/mask

Part # 14: Veterinary Kit
  • Veterinary manual
    Specific species/breed manuals
    Writing pen, pad, patient record cards
    Retaining straps, muzzles, & harnesses
    Cat nail clippers
    Dog nail clippers
    Horse hoof pick
    Horse hoof rasp
    Surgical gloves
    Surgical masks
    Safety glasses/goggles
    Hibiclens antiseptic surgical scrub (liquid)
    Dental tools & supplies (see listings above)
    Surgical tools & supplies (see listings above)
    Pen light
    Syringes
    Fever thermometers
    Stop watch
    Stethoscope
    Eye droppers
    Horse tablet blower
    Sterile gauze pads
    Gauze bandage rolls
    adhesive tape
    Cast forming material
    Flea spray, shampoo, dip & powder
    Eye cleanser
    Vaccines & medications
    Veterinary Novacaine
    Combiotic for dogs, cats, & horses (antibiotic)
    7-way vaccine for dogs
    (distemper, kennel cough, hepatitis, both leptos, parvo, parainfluenza)
    Basic vaccine for cats
    Basic vaccine for horses
    Basic vaccines & medications for any pets in and around household
    (birds, fish, rabbits, gerbils, hamsters, exotics)
    Earmite cure
    Mange remedy
    skin balm
    Ear canker powder
    Cut medication
    Bleeding stop powder
    Opthalmic ointment
    Antiseptic
    (Any other species/breed/animal specific equipment & supplies)
Part # 15: Medical rescue & transport kit
  • Personal equipment
    equipment bag
    heavy duty flashlights
    log book & pen
    seatbelt cutter
    EMT shears
    field knife
    heavy gloves
    safety glasses
    dust mask

Emergency/rescue equipment in field cases

portable oxygen tank & mask
    cervical collar
    traction splints
    air splints (arm, hand, lower leg, full leg)
    burn blanket
    short back board w/straps & neck support
    long back board w/straps & neck support
    conventional stretchers w/blanket & restraints
    basket stretcher w/blanket & restraints
    drag harness
    recovery lift harness
    rope hoist
    come-along hoist
    hoist tripod assembly
    hand powered porta-power hydraulic pump w/jaws-of-life kit
    hydraulic lift jacks
    rappelling kit w/extra rope
    life guard can
    throwable life preserver w/attached rope
    fire extinguishers
    body bags w/attached ID tags

Field first-aid/trauma kit

shoulder medical bag
    manual
    penlight (w/extra batteries & bulbs)
    pen (that will write under all conditions w/extra refills)
    writing pad (waterproof)
    patient tags (filled out and attached to patient for later reference)
    patient data & record cards (blank cards & pre-filled cards for members of
    household or group: allergies, chronic illness, previous treatments, etc.)
    fatality toe tags
    fatality personal effects bags w/attached ID tags

pocket knife
    matches, lighter, tinder, candle (for fire making)
    canteen & water purification tablets
    zip-lock bags

soap
    sponge
    folding basin
    paper towels

vinyl gloves
    surgical gloves
    surgical masks
    safety glasses/goggles

resuscitation bag
    space blanket
    ammonia capsules
    tourniquet
    eye wash kit w/extra bottles of eye wash
    Cutter snake-bite kit
    compact dental kit
    compact birthing kit

tissues
    sanitary napkins
    safety pins
    needle w/thread
    dental floss

fever thermometer (anal, oral, & forehead strip)
    hypothermia thermometer
    hyperthermia thermometer
    stethoscope
    sphygmometer (blood pressure cuff)
    stop watch

razor blade/x-acto knife/scalpel/scapel handle w/blades
    bandage scissors
    EMT shears
    tongue depressors
    wound cleansing wipes
    blood sponges
    cotton swabs
    cotton balls
    tweezers
    ear & nose syringes

1 needle holder
    2 curved hemostats
    2 straight hemostats
    1 operating scissors
    1 bandage scissors
    1 folding general purpose scissors
    1 splinter forceps
    3 to 15 sutures (5-0 nylon, 3-0 nylon, 3-0 gut)
    1 to 3 # 10 scalpels
    1 to 3 # 11 scalpels

first-aid ointment (Triple Antibiotic ointmemt)
    plastic wrap (for sucking chest wounds)
    aluminum foil (for sucking chest wounds)
    adhesive tape
    sterile gauze pads (2", 3", 4", 6", trama pads)
    gauze bandage rolls
    Ace bandages
    triangle bandages
    head bandages
    eye bandages
    Trau-Medic Combo bandages
    Spenco 2nd Skin dressing (medicated gel skin dressing)
    large area trauma pads
    Benzoin compound tincture (sticky)(to toughen skin)(to help hold bandages)
    Spenco Adhesive knit (foot & hand protectant)
    wire splint
    finger splints
    eye protective cups
    eye patch
    sling

paper cups
    plastic spoons
    eye droppers

enema/douche bag
    cold packs
    heat packs
    surgical tubing
    alcohol swabs
    heat balm
    rubbing alcohol
    hydrogen peroxide (Check with doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)
    petroleum jelly
    skin lotion
    vinegar
    baking soda
    table salt
    Epsom salt
    lip balm
    toothache ointment
    sweet oil
    ear wash
    Mild saline burn irrigation solution

(The following medications in single dose units/small quantity packaging)

salt tablets
    sports type vitamin/mineral/electrolyte drink
    Burn liquid-loss replacement drink (Sodium chloride/bicarbanate powder)
    aspirin base pain killer (favorite brand)
    non-aspirin pain killer (favorite brand)
    prescription pain reliever (preferably to ease pain but not dull senses)
    throat lozenges/cough drops (favorite brand)
    cough medication (liquid)(favorite brand)
    cold remedy (liquid/tablet)(favorite brand)
    decongestant (topical inhalant)(Vick's Vapor Rub)
    PMS control medication (favorite brand)

Antacid (Dimacid)
    Laxative (Dulcolax, Theralax, Bon-O-Lax)
    Pain/muscle relaxant/tranquilizer (Percogesic tablets)
    Antihistamine (Chlorpheniramine Maleate, 4mg tablets)
    Decongestant/vasoconstrictor (Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, 30mg tablets)
    Decongestant (Afrin nasal spray)
    Anti-nausea/motion (Meclizine hydrochloride, 25mg tablets)
    Anti-indigestion/nausea/diarrhea (Pepto-Bismol tablets)
    Eye ointment (Yellow oxide of mercury 1% ophthalmic)
    Eye anti-irritant (Tetrahydrozline drops)
    Ear drops (Schein Otic drops)
    Anti-fungal (Tinactin cream)
    Anti-inflammation/anti-itch (Hydrocortisone 1/2% Cream)
    Anti-burn/anti-itch/topical anesthetic (Dibucaine 1% Ointment)
    Antibiotic ointment (Triple Antibiotic Ointment)
    Skin healant ointment (Vitamin A & D ointment)
    Sun screen (Zinc oxide ointment)
    Vomit inducer (Syrup of Ipecac) (Check with doctor. This has fallen out of favor.)

(Plus any additional specific disease/ailment requirements needed on a
    regular or semi regular basis by any member of the family)
Part # 16: Specialty health items
  • mechanical hospital bed
    bed traction frame w/cables & weights
    light back traction hanging frame & harness
    tub, shower & water closet support bars
    wheelchair
    massage table
    neck brace
    back brace
    leg/knee brace
    porta-pottie w/concealing, roll-around cabinet
    rolling vanity stand (sink, pump faucet, fresh & waste water containers,
    soap, washcloths & towels)
    patient restraints (straight jacket, muzzles, anti-scratch gloves, etc.)
    other specialty health items
I did not indicate quantities for the most part. Decide how much space you wish to use and fill the kits based on that. Remember, though, that having one of everything is not necessarily the best way to go. Better to have several of an item you know you will use often than one of something that you may or may not use. Tough decision. You aren’t a hospital. You can’t have everything. (They can't either, actually.)

These kits were designed some time ago and some of the original brand names deleted in this version. Others were left in as a reference that can be asked about at a friendly pharmacy. The kits should be discussed with your doctor and needed adjustments made.

REMEMBER: THESE KITS ARE MY PERSONAL OPINION. CONSULT WITH A DOCTOR BEFORE SETTING UP YOUR OWN KIT.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

What to Include in a Home First Aid Kit
https://survivallife.com/home-first-aid-kit/

We as human beings are always prone to all sorts of major and minor emergencies and you can’t really do anything to stop them from occurring. However, you can minimize the damage they cause or the intensity of pain caused by that certain emergency.

You may or may not consider a broken bone, a cut or even an allergic reaction to be a major problem, but they can be enough to make you desperately look for some relief. Usually, in circumstances like these, an instant reaction would be to fend for yourself with something that provides immediate relief. This can only be done when you have the essentials well-stocked in the form of a first aid kit.

There is no rocket science involved in putting together a medical kit for addressing the issue, on time.

Why do I need a first aid kit? ... CONTINUED at LINK, above ...
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Uncommon Items for your First Aid Kit
https://survivallife.com/first-aid-for-survival/

(SNIP) ... Having a well-stocked first aid kit (FAK) is a given. You should have one in your home and one in your vehicle, as well -as in each of your emergency packs.

Once you have a basic first aid kit, consider adding these 8 items: ... CONTINUED at LINK, above ...

More Uncommon First Aid Items
https://survivallife.com/uncommon-first-aid-items/

(SNIP) ... As I wrote last September, I have a fairly decent first aid kit. It includes everything from a large variety of bandages to pain killers, antibiotics, essential oils, trauma supplies, first aid books, and equipment such as braces, splints and a blood pressure monitor.

Since then, however, Ebola and now measles have become a threat and it is only a matter of time where my first aid kit will be called into play to protect my household from contamination from sickness, or worse, a pandemic.

As I try to cover all contingencies, I have come up with six additional items well suited to the prepper’s first aid kit. These are all items that are commonly available and low in price. Not only that, you may already have a number on hand.

Wouldn’t this be a good time to gather them together with the rest of your first aid items? ... CONTINUED at LINK, above ...
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

This site has links to different kinds of kits. So, if you want to make up smaller kits for your boat, or a hike, this site might be for you to check out!

FirstAidAnywhere.com

First Aid Kit Checklist
https://www.firstaidanywhere.com/First-Aid-Kit-Checklist.html

Are you looking for a First Aid Kit Checklist? There are so many options and so much that could be in a kit.To find out which first aid kit is best for you start with the following questions:
  • Where do you plan to use it?
    Is it for the car, home, boat, holiday or overseas travel?
    What will it be used for?
    What are the likely accidents or injuries that you may encounter?
Maybe the first aid kit is needed for a group activity.

What activities will the group be doing? "Lazing" around listening to lectures or doing extreme sports?

Depending on what you are wanting the kit for and the amount of people it needs to cover, will influence the ... ---CONTINUED at LINK, above---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Medical Supplies That Will Disappear Fast in a Crisis
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/medical-supplies-disappear-crisis/

(SNIP) ... We’re going to explore a condition-driven approach to a stockpile based on the types of medical conditions that are common during and after a disaster. Some will be in short supply very rapidly after disaster strikes. Others are difficult to find in most stores even now.

For those items that may be difficult to locate, we’ve provided links in this article. Many items can be found at a pharmacy, but if they are a bit obscure, the Internet has it.

In the grand scheme of things, the items you choose to stockpile are not very expensive. It’s the quantity and the variety that can add up a bit, but even then, if you can’t find it anywhere, it’s priceless.

The primary focus here is on first aid items that will be in high demand following a disaster. If you think of an item you’ll need that’s not on the list, buy it. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Image Hat Tip to 'Rick1', over at EHP-D:

Beyond Antibiotics: 20 Medical Supplies To Store for TEOTWAWKI
https://www.theprepperjournal.com/2018/07/03/beyond-antibiotics-20-medical-supplies-to-store-for-teotwawki/

(SNIP) ... Realistically, how many supplies can a physician be expected to stockpile for a community? How many physicians are actually preppers who foresee a need? Post-disaster, it will be far easier to locate a physician who knows how to use supplies than it will be to locate the supplies themselves. While obtaining prescription medications in quantity is a challenge, fortunately many life-saving supplies and medications can be purchased right now, by anybody.

So let’s discuss some of these medications and medical supplies that we should acquire before TEOTWAWKI. It’s not an exhaustive list, but it is a good start. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

10 Medical Supplies to Stock Up on Before it’s too Late
https://www.askaprepper.com/10-medical-supplies-to-stock-up-on-before-its-too-late/

(SNIP) ... China isn’t the only overseas supplier of American medicines and medical supplies. A surprising amount of our pharmaceuticals and medical supplies come from other countries.

What will happen if shipping comes to a stop? ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

14 Medical Supplies To Get While You Still Can
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/medical-supplies-to-get-while-you-still-can/

During the early stages of the Covid pandemic in the United States, citizens watched as the store shelves emptied of toilet paper, non-perishable foods, and valuable medical supplies. Items that generally stayed available on shelves all year-long suddenly disappeared at alarming rates. Now that things are back to normal, it’s a good time to grab those medical supplies while you still can. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

18 Most Overlooked Medical Supplies
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/most-overlooked-medical-supplies/

(SNIP) ... When preparing your home for emergencies, it is best to think about those items you would need if you had no communication with the outside world, electricity, and heat. To that end, here are some medical supplies you may have overlooked. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

The Complete List Of Medical Supplies Every Prepper Should Own
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/list-of-medical-supplies-every-prepper-should-own/

(SNIP) ... One of the best ways to be prepared for a medical emergency is to have the right supplies on hand. For this article, we’ve compiled a list of basic supplies you should have in your home to handle everything from cuts and scrapes to much more severe injuries or ailments that might result from a weather-related or human-caused disaster.

We’ll begin with the basic building block of your supplies – the first aid kit. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

11 First Aid Supplies You Can’t Have Too Much Of
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/first-aid-supplies-cant-much/

Next to food, water, and shelter, nothing is more important in a survival situation than medical supplies. Without the right supplies, diseases and injuries that would normally be completely treatable could be a death sentence. Unfortunately, many first aid supplies such as medication and bandages are not reusable, meaning you will want to have ample stocks of these crucial items.

In preparing for the worst, here are the top 11 first aid supplies you should have in abundance ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

5 Essential Medical Supplies to Have as a Responsible Gun Owner
https://rethinksurvival.com/5-essential-medical-supplies-to-have-as-a-responsible-gun-owner/

(SNIP) ... There is, however, one thing many hunters forget to check, and that’s a medical kit full of the correct supplies that might save either your own or someone else’s life. While thinking about bringing medical supplies typically means dwelling on negative and sometimes disastrous results that may happen, you should consider owning and including several of these items in your emergency medical kit, especially if you’re a gun owner. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Medical Supplies Large & Small”