It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Medical Kits/Bags
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

Medical Kits/Bags

ImageImage Fla_Medic at Plan For Pandemic
http://planforpandemic.com/posting.php? ... te&p=21029

FLA_MEDIC’s FIRST AID/TRAUMA KIT Everyone should have a good medical bag. The store bought plastic ones are both overpriced and pretty much useless for more than a cut or a scrape. Granted, my kit contains some items that a layman might not wish to include, but I thought a tour of my kit might provide some ideas to all of you of things you can do to make your own. First, you need a proper container for your first aid supplies. I bought this duffle bag at Big Lots for 9.99. The old and faded paramedic patch, I added. ;) Image This particular duffle bag has hand and shoulder straps, two webbed pouches on the front, a zippered pouch behind that, a zippered compartment on each end, and a cavernous center compartment. The top slouches inward a bit because I’ve left room for a few goodies I’ll be adding in the future. Starting with the front webbed pouches, I keep several pairs of latex gloves, alcohol wipes, a notepad and a pen. Behind the webbed pouches, I keep an assortment of items. Small stuff that I go for frequently, and don’t wish to rummage thru the bigger compartments for. Spare gloves, a multi-tool, alcohol gel hand sanitizer, spare alcohol pads, a digital thermometer, and a pouch of sports drink. I have couple more of those stashed away under meds in another compartment. Image The Center compartment is where I keep my ambu-bag, airways, Stethescope, C-collar, B/P cuff, N95 masks, and goggles. These are bulky items, and need to be readily accessible. I also keep a suture set in there. Image My suture set consists of assorted sutures (2-0, 3-0 chromic), Lidocaine, syringes (not shown), a disposable sterile scalpel, Needle holder, Kelly Clamp Iris scissors, and tweezers, along with a syringe for irrigation Image On the Right side of the bag, I keep my trauma supplies. Lots of Kling (you can never have too much), 6x6, 4x4, and 2x2 sterile dressings, several trauma dressings (sanitary napkins), Bandaids, Steri-Strips, Paper Tape, Bandage Shears, and Two old Rx bottles, one with 5 yards of duct tape rolled around it, and Superglue inside, and another filled with Q-tips. Image On the opposite side, I keep meds. Alcohol (70%), Betadine (Provodone-Iodine), Chloroflush (wound cleaner), Sterile Saline for Irrigation, Liquid children’s Benadryl, and Benadryl capsules, Loperamide tablets, Tylenol, Aspirin, and Ibuprofen. I also keep an epi-pen, albuterol inhalor, a flashlight, and antibiotic cream here. I found room to stash a couple more sports drink pouches, as well. Image What’s missing? Well, all first aid kits are a compromise. There are still a few items I plan to add. A couple of IV bags, with setups (1-.9% Saline, 1- Lactated Ringers), some pediactric airways, and perhaps a combitube airway. I may add a CPR mask, too. Although with the ambu-bag, that’s probably redundant. A SAM splint would be a nice addition, too. And I need to get a couple of Triangular (cravat) bandages for the trauma side. All totaled, this kit weighs in at about 20lbs. It balances nicely, and it has virtually everything I would need to handle most emergencies

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Medical Kits/Bags
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Medical Kits

Medical kits for self-reliant families
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay60.html

By Jackie Clay

Image There may be a time, as close as tomorrow, when your loved ones need medication or medical treatment and there is no drug store open or doctor available. This may be as simple a situation as a head cold coming on during a weekend night, or more drastic, such as nothing available after a civil or natural disaster.
Family medical kits

Here at home, we've always had a medical kit. Several, in fact. One is quite large, made up of a poly box, originally designed as a field box for trap and skeet shooters. This "drug store on wheels" is a well-packed medical utility box that will handle nearly everything from a cold to severe lacerations. This one we carry when traveling in remote locations.

But while it is loaded with most medical needs, far surpassing a first-aid "kit," it is heavy, weighing over 30 pounds, and it is not something we carry for short trips, pack in our canoe, or carry on horseback. --- Continued at link, above ---

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Medical Kits/Bags
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Medical First Response Packs

SHTF Survival: First Response Packs for Medical Emergencies
http://modernsurvivalonline.com/guest-p ... ergencies/

Image When there is a medical emergency, time is of the essence. Typically, medical rescue workers who respond to accidents work swiftly by having their supplies organized and at times, pre-assembled (wound care, trauma packs) to treat patients more efficiently. Having these items pre-packaged cuts down on response time, and gives the responders more of an advantage in properly caring for the wounded. That efficiency can easily be replicated for your medical supplies or added to your SHTF sick room.
Medical first response packs can be made . . . --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Offline Profile