Medical Kits/Bags

Readymom
Site Admin

Medical Kits/Bags

Post by Readymom »

Medical Kits/Bags

Hat Tip: ImageFla_Medic[/i] at Plan For Pandemic

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

FLA_MEDIC's FIRST AID/TRAUMA KIT Everyone should have a good medical bag. The store bought plastic ones are both overpriced and pretty much useless for more than a cut or a scrape. Granted, my kit contains some items that a layman might not wish to include, but I thought a tour of my kit might provide some ideas to all of you of things you can do to make your own. First, you need a proper container for your first aid supplies. I bought this duffle bag at Big Lots for 9.99. The old and faded paramedic patch, I added. ;)

This particular duffle bag has hand and shoulder straps, two webbed pouches on the front, a zippered pouch behind that, a zippered compartment on each end, and a cavernous center compartment. The top slouches inward a bit because I've left room for a few goodies I'll be adding in the future. Starting with the front webbed pouches, I keep several pairs of latex gloves, alcohol wipes, a notepad and a pen. Behind the webbed pouches, I keep an assortment of items. Small stuff that I go for frequently, and don't wish to rummage thru the bigger compartments for. Spare gloves, a multi-tool, alcohol gel hand sanitizer, spare alcohol pads, a digital thermometer, and a pouch of sports drink. I have couple more of those stashed away under meds in another compartment.

The Center compartment is where I keep my ambu-bag, airways, Stethescope, C-collar, B/P cuff, N95 masks, and goggles. These are bulky items, and need to be readily accessible. I also keep a suture set in there.

My suture set consists of assorted sutures (2-0, 3-0 chromic), Lidocaine, syringes (not shown), a disposable sterile scalpel, Needle holder, Kelly Clamp Iris scissors, and tweezers, along with a syringe for irrigation

On the Right side of the bag, I keep my trauma supplies. Lots of Kling (you can never have too much), 6x6, 4x4, and 2x2 sterile dressings, several trauma dressings (sanitary napkins), Bandaids, Steri-Strips, Paper Tape, Bandage Shears, and Two old Rx bottles, one with 5 yards of duct tape rolled around it, and Superglue inside, and another filled with Q-tips.

On the opposite side, I keep meds. Alcohol (70%), Betadine (Provodone-Iodine), Chloroflush (wound cleaner), Sterile Saline for Irrigation, Liquid children's Benadryl, and Benadryl capsules, Loperamide tablets, Tylenol, Aspirin, and Ibuprofen. I also keep an epi-pen, albuterol inhalor, a flashlight, and antibiotic cream here. I found room to stash a couple more sports drink pouches, as well.

What's missing? Well, all first aid kits are a compromise. There are still a few items I plan to add. A couple of IV bags, with setups (1-.9% Saline, 1- Lactated Ringers), some pediactric airways, and perhaps a combitube airway. I may add a CPR mask, too. Although with the ambu-bag, that's probably redundant. A SAM splint would be a nice addition, too. And I need to get a couple of Triangular (cravat) bandages for the trauma side. All totaled, this kit weighs in at about 20lbs. It balances nicely, and it has virtually everything I would need to handle most emergencies
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Medical Kits/Bags

Post by Readymom »

Medical kits for self-reliant families
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay60.html

By Jackie Clay

There may be a time, as close as tomorrow, when your loved ones need medication or medical treatment and there is no drug store open or doctor available. This may be as simple a situation as a head cold coming on during a weekend night, or more drastic, such as nothing available after a civil or natural disaster. --- Continued at link, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

SHTF Survival: First Response Packs for Medical Emergencies
http://modernsurvivalonline.com/guest-post-shtf-survival-first-response-packs-for-medical-emergencies/

When there is a medical emergency, time is of the essence. Typically, medical rescue workers who respond to accidents work swiftly by having their supplies organized and at times, pre-assembled (wound care, trauma packs) to treat patients more efficiently. Having these items pre-packaged cuts down on response time, and gives the responders more of an advantage in properly caring for the wounded. That efficiency can easily be replicated for your medical supplies or added to your SHTF sick room.
Medical first response packs can be made . . . --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Medical Kits & Bags

Post by Readymom »

Emergency Medical Kit List – Build Your Own Custom First Aid Kit
https://commonsensehome.com/emergency-medical-kit/

Everyone needs at least one emergency medical kit. You should have a kit in each vehicle and in your home. The kit needs to include trauma items for serious events. We recommend the 12 Survivors First Aid Roll up Kit if you want a partially stocked med kit as a starting point.

You can use the emergency medical kit list below to replace items in an existing kit, supplement existing kits and/or build your own customized First Aid Kits (FAK) or individual first aid kit (IFAK) . Our target for this list is to identify items for your FAK that are a step below or near the basic EMT level kit, for a med kit would be useful at home, at work and in the wild. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Medical Kits & Bags

Post by Readymom »

Around the House... Three essential Things to any wilderness or disaster medicine kit:
http://disastermedicine-christine.blogspot.com/2009/06/around-house.html

There are three things that I would consider essential to any wilderness or disaster medicine kit: Duct tape, plastic bags, and a pocket knife.

(SNIP) ... Actually, like duct tape, plastic bags, and pocket knives, the most versatile items in a good medical kit are the ones that you would find ordinarily around the house. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

What is the Best First Aid Kit for Survival Situations?
https://alphasurvivalist.net/what-is-the-best-first-aid-kit-you-can-use-for-survival-situations/

(SNIP) ... Whether you buy a first aid kit or create your own, there aren’t any rigid rules as to what to add and what to omit. While some items are crucial when dealing with most types of emergency situations, most can be avoided or replaced with alternatives. As a result, many people find it a challenge to determine exactly what to add to their emergency first aid kit in the first place. The following tips should be able to help you in this regard: ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Medical Supplies Large & Small”