Preserving Foods-General Info-Without Electricity and Sun

Included here: * Canning * Dehydrating or Drying * Fermentation * Freeze Drying * Smoking * and Other ideas
Readymom
Site Admin

Preserving Foods-General Info-Without Electricity and Sun

Post by Readymom »

Food Storage WithOUT Electricty and Sun

Basic Survival Tip: How to Preserve Foods without Electricity and Sun
http://www.go-preppers.com/blog/basic-survival-tip-how-to-preserve-foods-without-electricity-and-sun/

Recently the question was posed to me about preserving foods in a crisis that outlasted the current supply of food stores. This was a survival question that seemed to have a basic answer until there were conditions placed on the preservation methods. I needed to come up with a solution to preserve foods without using modern methods, and solar power was out of the mix. This added complexity to the equation.

I set out to research the problem and was amazed at how out of touch I am with our recent history. Modern refrigeration is… well… exactly that modern! We have not had these luxuries for very long, and prior to the refrigerator, most of our food stores were preserved. As it turns out there are many solutions to food preservation that do not use electricity or solar for the outcome. ---CONTINUED at LINK, above ---
Last edited by Readymom on Mon May 11, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Preserving Foods without Electricity and Sun

Post by Readymom »

How the Early Pioneers Preserved Food and What They Ate
http://www.askaprepper.com/how-the-earliest-frontiers-preserved-food-and-how-they-fed-themselves/

In this article, we’ll look at how the frontiers folk coped with food scarcity. How they used skills like hunting, like growing and gathering vegetables and the techniques they used to preserve food during often very hard winters. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---

Return to “Food: Preservation”