Taste Test: General Reviews w/out photos

Summaries of Taste Tests made on Freeze Dried, Dehydrated or other store-bought long-term foods. Many thanks to all the folks who dipped into their long-term food storage to try these foods and post the results!
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Taste test of dehydrated and freeze-dried foods part 1
http://preparednessadvice.com/food_storage/taste-test-of-dehydrated-and-freeze-dried-foods/

Taste test of dehydrated and freeze-dried foods part 2
http://preparednessadvice.com/uncategorized/taste-test-of-dehydrated-and-freeze-dried-foods-part-2/

Taste test of dehydrated and freeze-dried foods part 3
http://preparednessadvice.com/uncategorized/taste-test-of-dehydrated-and-freeze-dried-foods-part-3/

Taste test of dehydrated and freeze-dried foods part 4
http://preparednessadvice.com/food_storage/taste-test-of-dehydrated-and-freeze-dried-foods-part-4/
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Taste Test: General Reviews w/out photos

Post by Readymom »

Taste Test-#10 Cans of Dehydrated Foods

Original post by 'Silversage', over at Plan For Pandemic Forum-Forum No Long Active

Who is buying dehydrated food?

:arrow: I posted this on another forum last spring. I'll update it with some new stuff after this weekend as I just recieved a case of dehydrated hashbrowns from Emergency Essentials!!

I opened a couple of #10 cans to see what exactly is inside!!

Honeyville Grain #10 can Freeze dried raspberries (8 oz). First, the can was only half full, but I did weigh them in and it was a little over 8 oz. of product. I think if they put in 16 oz or more it would crush the berries.

Most of the berries were full size, but a lot were crushed. That wouldn't hurt for baking or making smoothies. They seemed a bit tart for eating right out of the can. Rehydrated they're very fragile but not so mushy that you can't tell it's a raspberry!

Honeyville Grain #10 can Freeze dried strawberry slices (8 oz). This can was full but still only measured in at 8 oz. The strawberries looked good, hardly any were crushed. They're not bad to eat straight from the can, and they're GREAT on your morning cereal.

They are a little soft when rehydrated, which is to be expected. Would probably make a great strawberry shortcake and would work well for baking. I plan on using them for cereal and snacking.

Mountain Brook Food #10 can diced green and white leeks (8 oz). They were full to the tip top of the can. Had a great(stong) smell, just like green onions. These don't need to be rehydrated to use. I've been throwing them into everything that I would normally use onion for. Because the #10 can is so large I've vacumn packed some of these into smaller canning jars with oxygen absorbers to help them last longer.

Honeyville Grain #10 can Powdered Whole Eggs (36 oz). I've had these opened since July '06. I rotate between using fresh eggs and powdered eggs in baking and cooking. None of my family has noticed any difference. Pancakes made with the powdered eggs stick a little on my non-stick griddle but I just spray a little pam on it. I've used them in fried rice, banana bread and white bread, pancakes and regular cakes, cookies and brownies without noticing any difference.

Mountain Brook Food #2.5 can Applesauce powder (11.5 oz). The can holds 4 cups of product that should make 20 cups of sauce. The only ingredient is dried apples, and it’s more granular than powder. Mine was a little clumpy, but smoothed out when I stirred it up a bit. The ratio is 5 cups water to 1 cup product but I thought that was a little runny so I put in more powder. The directions suggest letting stand for 10 minutes after you mix it up and overnight if possible so I mixed mine last night and left it in the frig.

It’s pretty good. Taste more like homemade applesauce than store bought. Store bought is very smooth and this you can feel little (tiny) pieces of apple. Also says it would be great for pies, maybe use a pie iron over the campfire would be a good idea, although I would probably add a little sugar and cinnamon!

Mountain Brook Foods #2.5 can Onion Dices (8 oz). Rehydration instructions are to add water at a 4 to 1 ratio. The only ingredient is dried onion. This is the first can I've emptied. I will never buy a fresh onion if I can help it! It comes diced or sliced and I usually don't rehydrate them, just toss them in what ever I'm making. Makes life so easy the uses are endless!

Mountain Brook Foods #2.5 can Dried Banana Slices (8 oz). These are ready to eat right out of the can. Ingredients are bananas, sugar, and vegetable oil. Serving suggestions are to eat as a snack or add to a trail mix.

My thought was to use these rehydrated for baking BUT you can't rehydrate them because of the way they are dried. They don't absorb water and get really gross (slimy but hard) if you try. So we'll eat them as is but I'm still looking for a solution to making banana bread/muffins during long term SIP.

Return to “Food: Taste Tests”