Taste Test-Instant Rice-With Cold Water

Summaries of Taste Tests made on Freeze Dried, Dehydrated or other store-bought long-term foods. Many thanks to all the folks who dipped into their long-term food storage to try these foods and post the results!
Readymom
Site Admin

Taste Test-Instant Rice-With Cold Water

Post by Readymom »

Taste Test: Instant Rice-With Cold Water

Instant Rice and Prepping -- page 2
** Prep Forum is no longer active & available to view

:arrow: Lynn LeFey wrote:
So, being the curious type, I took a serving of my instant rice and put it in a bowl with cold water, to see if it'd rehydrate.

After about 45 minutes, the rice was mostly softened, with just a few crunchy bits.

So... it doesn't even need boiling or even hot water to prepare.

It sure wasn't 'gourmet', but if we're talking shtf, I don't think that really matters. I think it might work particularly well if pared with a canned food that has water in the can. Just use the liquid in the canned food to rehydrate the rice. No waste.

I'm eating my experiment right now, with a chicken bouillon cube and packet of Taco Bell hot sauce for flavoring. I have little kits in my bug-out bag, and I pack bouillon and over flavor stuff with my instant rice in them. This is the first time I've tried it out. Seems to work. Again, not gourmet, but a lot better than starving.

Return to “Food: Taste Tests”