Taste Test: Potatoes-Dehydrated Hash Browns

Summaries of Taste Tests made on Freeze Dried, Dehydrated or other store-bought long-term foods. Many thanks to all the folks who dipped into their long-term food storage to try these foods and post the results!
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

(NOTE: The original link is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. I've edited this post, to include the FULL article that used to be visible at that link, because it was a good review)

First Time Cooking Dehydrated Hash Browns
http://apartmentprepper.com/?p=1814[/color]

Image I tried cooking dehydrated hash browns for breakfast for the first time. This particular brand was Provident Pantry from Emergency Essentials. I had added a couple of cans of dehydrated hash browns to the emergency food storage, so I thought I better try learn to cook them now, before an emergency happens. A disaster type situation would not be a great time to figure out how to cook something new.

The first thing you need to do is soak the dried potato flakes in water to rehydrate. I soaked the potatoes in tap water for 20 minutes and cooked as regular hash browns. On my first try they came out a little tough. I think I did not soak them long enough.

I read comments on Emergency Essentials website that said you can soak in hot water to rehydrate. Hot water work at lot quicker. I also tried soaking at room temperature for 30 minutes and that worked well too.

I fried the hash browns in olive oil with a bit of salt and pepper and they came up very tasty. The taste and texture was the same as fresh hash browns. With proper soaking, the hash browns turned out well. The family gave them a thumbs up.
If you sprinkle some bacon bits, it becomes a meal in itself. I might even eat it for lunch or dinner.

Return to “Food: Taste Tests”