Taste Test: Powdered Eggs

Summaries of Taste Tests made on Freeze Dried, Dehydrated or other store-bought long-term foods. Many thanks to all the folks who dipped into their long-term food storage to try these foods and post the results!
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Ever Tried Powdered Eggs?
http://apartmentprepper.com/?p=2095

I have to admit I was very skeptical about this latest food experiment. I can always tell by the spongy look when those free breakfast buffets at the hotel are serving powdered eggs. So when my husband suggested we try opening up emergency can to make sure we can eat it I was very hesitant about it.

Today I finally got around to trying it. The instructions say, mix 1/4 cup of powdered egg to 1/3 cup of water. I did that. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Taste Test: Powdered Eggs

Post by Readymom »

Powdered Eggs: Taste Test

Hat Tip to 'KR105' over at American Preppers Network:

*Forum No Long Active & Available to View

PREP TEST: Powdered Eggs

I purchased the can from MRE Depot and it is the Future Essentials brand. When I opened the can, it was surprisingly full. There was a noticable order that smelled faintly like iron / metal (and it was not the can.)

No directions were on the label so I used the directions from the Honeyville site (2 tablespoons product to 4 tablespoons water.) As a comparison, I also pulled an egg out of the refrigerator and scrambled that. Here is the precooked pictures:

Then I microwaved both dishes for one minute and the powdered egg product overflowed the dish in the microwave (requiring a quick cleanup.) Here is what they looked like after cooking.

Taste: there is one word to describe the powdered eggs: YUCK! It was awful and that metalic smell became a faintly metallic taste. I'm assuming that I can use this in a recipe (and will try it when time permits) but as a scrambled egg or omlet - No Way Jose! In a pinch you could drown it with pancake syrup to mask the taste.

Pros: shelf life
Cons: taste
Would I buy it again? Not unless it can be used for baking/recipes.
Since eggs can he held for several months I'd rather go out and purchase 5 dozen eggs (for less money) and stick them in the fridge.

Return to “Food: Taste Tests”