Taste Test: Chicken-Freeze Dried

Summaries of Taste Tests made on Freeze Dried, Dehydrated or other store-bought long-term foods. Many thanks to all the folks who dipped into their long-term food storage to try these foods and post the results!
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Taste-Test: Chicken-Freeze Dried

Taste Test: THRIVE Freeze Dried Chicken
http://apartmentprepper.com/?p=2799

Image This week I am reviewing Thrive Freeze Dried White Meat Chopped Chicken, courtesy of Misty Marsh over at Your Own Home Store. I am very interested in freeze dried meats, as my current food storage is low on meat items. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Taste Test: Chicken-Freeze Dried

Post by Readymom »

*Forum is no longer active or viewable

Manufacturer: Alpine Aire

There were some irregularities on the can when I inspected it. The label was falling off (not glued on), the nutritional data had a white label glued over it, the main label was ripped.
Since the can was not dented, I opened it.

About ¼ of the product was powder and unusable. Given the cost of Freeze Dried meat, that is an expensive issue and cuts down on the servings you will get per can. The rest were small pieces of freeze dried chicken (ranging in size from ¼ to 1 inch (with most pieces still intact about ½ inch in length and the occ piece that was one inch long.)

Like most freeze dried foods, in the can, the color was extremely pale and the texture was like touching a powdery sytrofoam.

The directions call for a 15 minute bath in boiling water however it was ready to eat at the 7 minute mark. It did smell and look like chicken. Like most freeze dried foods it cooled too quickly so I threw it in the microwave for 10 seconds and it was hot and ready to serve. The taste and texture confirmed it was boiled chicken in small pieces.

The bottom line: You will not replace a chicken breast with this, nor use it to make Chicken Parmesian, however you could add this to a Lipton/Knorr side dish (like fried rice or chicken and noodles) and have an acceptable meal. I would also add it to mashed potatoes with a can of corn and some gravy and call it a chicken bowl (like KFC without the fried factor.) Would I buy it again? Yes knowing it’s limitations and working with them.[/quote]
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Taste Test: Chicken-Freeze Dried

Post by Readymom »

Taste Test- Freeze Dried Chicken-Augason Farms

Freeze Dried Chicken
http://histakes-food-storage.blogspot.com/2011/09/freeze-dried-chicken.html

Image I was running low on other meats, so I decided to try the Augason Farms Freeze Dried Chicken.
First, I rehydrated it: (little chicken, little water, let it soak up the water for at least one minute.) .... ----CONTINUED at LINK, above ----

Return to “Food: Taste Tests”