Pandemic Flu-Methods of Treatment

Preparing for Pandemic Flu has some of it's own issues and concerns.
Readymom
Site Admin

Pandemic Flu-Methods of Treatment

Post by Readymom »

Originally posted by (FlaMedic) at PlanforPandemic:

Combination of drugs 'needed to fight' flu pandemic
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

A combination of antiviral drugs is needed to combat a potential influenza pandemic, scientists have warned.

The claim is made in a joint British and Greek study on the importance of stockpiling two classes of drugs that are effective against flu viruses.

Ion channel inhibitors, such as amantadine and rimantadine, are not commonly stored in the event of a flu outbreak despite their effectiveness due to "unacceptable side effects" and their association with a "rapid emergence of resistance".

But the authors of today's study, published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ), strongly contend that the drugs should be used in conjunction with neuraminidase inhibitors, which include oseltamivir and zanamivir.

They write that a combination of the drugs would reduce undesirable side effects and the risk of resistance, as well as playing an "important role in our armoury".

The claims are made following laboratory tests at the University of Athens medical school that showed a mixture of both antivirals could even prevent the emergence of resistant strains of the highly-pathogenic avian influenza H5N1 virus.

"The strongest argument for having ion channel inhibitors available for a pandemic is that we cannot predict the antiviral susceptibility of a novel influenza strain," writes Professor Sotirios Tsiodras.

"Moreover, avian H5N1 strains continue to evolve."

He goes on to say: "Ion channel inhibitors are also considerably cheaper than neuraminidase inhibitors, so the cost implications of maintaining stocks of both types of drug are therefore modest."
© Adfero Ltd

http://news.viewlondon.co.uk/Combinatio ... 56568.html

[snip] Backs up the combo therapy our good doctor recommended above.

All medical discussions are for educational purposes only. I am not a doctor, and nothing I post should be construed as medical advice. Additionally, anything I post is my own opinion, and not necessarily that of the management. [color=#][/color]

:arrow: (BirdGuano)
There has been some discussion on CE about using Amantadine and Probenecid in combination.

Some medical texts show an unfavorable central nervous system side effect.

I would do a LOT more research on the amantadine-probenecid combination before I'm willing to use it.

Right now I'm sticking with Tamiflu, Probenecid and Ramantadine for mid-stage treatment, and Relenza for early stage
Readymom
Site Admin

x-Pandemic Flu-Methods of Treatment

Post by Readymom »

Chagrin Falls

Dr. Carol’s Holistic Natural Remedy’s Fight Swine Flu Naturally!
https://www.chagrinfallspetclinic.com/2009/04/29/dr-carols-holistic-natural-remedys-fight-swine-flu-naturally/

We are in the midst of a Swine Flu, level 5 Pandemic. Today the Center for Disease Control (CDC), confirmed 90 confirmed cases in the US, spread over 11 states with 2 reported fatalities. I have prepared some useful tips and information based on published research, that should be helpful to protect us from this deadly virus. Alternative Therapies including natural foods and herbal remedies can effectively help prevent and treat the Flu. There are some natural nutrients and herbs that are effective against the Swine Flu virus and a few that should be avoided.

The current H1N1 strain of the influenza “Swine Flu” virus evolved through a combination of three mutated strains of the human bird and swine strains of the influenza viruses. These natural remedies and herbs are cost effective, readily available and may be used to help prevent infection in healthy individuals. For those already infected with Swine Flu, they may be life saving! Certain nutrients such as Spirulina and Echinacea should be avoided with the flu because they can make the condition worse. This is because of the fact that the Swine Flu virus itself is immune to two different “cytokines” that the body of people and pets naturally produce. Specifically the two cytokines are referred to asTNF-a and IL-6. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Antiviral Drugs for Flu

Post by Readymom »

Flu Treatment
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/treatment/index.html

If you get sick with flu, antiviral drugs may be a treatment option.

Check with your doctor promptly if you are at high risk of serious flu complications and you get flu symptoms. People at high risk of flu complications include young children, adults 65 years of age and older, pregnant women, and people with certain medical conditions such as asthma, diabetes and heart disease.

When used for treatment, antiviral drugs can lessen symptoms and shorten the time you are sick by 1 or 2 days. They also can prevent serious flu complications, like pneumonia. For people at high risk of serious flu complications, treatment with antiviral drugs can mean the difference between milder or more serious illness possibly resulting in a hospital stay.

This page provides basic information about antiviral drugs and treating flu illness. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Pandemic Flu Concerns”