College Student's Two Week Food Box

Knowing that your college student is prepared to handle an emergency, when they are not able to get home will give them and their family peace of mind.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

This box was prepared for our finicky DD. If you decide to do this, you can alter the box to the taste of your own student. I have to say that this box came home complete. Nothing was taken out during the year.

The reasons for the box are multiple:
*Your Student may need to be quarantined in their room in the event of an large-scale outbreak (like the pandemic flu, last fall) or other attack.
*Your Student may not be able to get home in a large-scale emergency.
*Your Student may be able to get to stay with a family in the area, if they have two weeks of food to offer.
*You Student may leave the box behind for a friend, if they can get home, but the friend cannot.

The Two-Week Food Box is a tub that is labeled and duct taped. Her bed is raised about 3 ft. off the floor. She has drawers under the bed, and the tub/tote fits behind the drawers where it's really hard to get at.

I had to be creative with the food box, so that it contained foods that she would eat. I told her that she can open it up and eat it all at the end of the year. It includes:

(the dinners are fully cooked, 90 second heat up in mircrowave - there's one in her room. If she has to eat them cold ... then she eats them cold) ** Just make sure that your keep on top of rotating the food out of these boxes!Those Hormel dinners are not shelf-stable for long term storage. Other option is the dehydrated camping meals in a pouch. The student will need to have adequate water for preparing those meals stored in their tote! **

(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Chicken breast/potato/gravy)
(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Turkey/Stuffing/gravy)
(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Roast Beef/Potato/gravy)
(3) Hormel 'Completes Dinners' (Beef Tips/Potato/gravy
(6) Canned Corn (Individual serving pop top cans)
(6) Canned Green Beans (Individual serving pop top cans)
(6) Success Rice boil-in-a-bag *
(3) pkg. of chicken noodle soup*
(6) Ramen Noodles (Chicken)
(6) Soup-Campbells Chicken & Stars w/ pop top
(3) Dry Gravy Pkts-Chicken
(3) Dry Gravy Pkts-Beef
(2) Sm. Peanut Butter
(5) Pkg. of Graham Crackers-4sheets/pkg*
(10) Chewy Granola Bars*
(12) Apple Sauce (Cinnamon,snack size)
(6) Cheerios-Single serve*
(6) Rice Krispies-SIngle Serve*
(3) Gold Fish Crackers-Single Serve*
( 8 ) Teddy Graham Crackers-Single Serve*
( 8 ) Vanilla Frosting-to dip Teddy Grahams-Single serve*
(2) 6pk Snickers Bars
(1) Bag Reese Peanut Butter M&M's
(2) 6pk Reese Peanut Butter Cups
(1) 12 pk. of shelf stable milk
(15) Hot Chocolate Envelopes
(60) Tea Bags - 3 20/pk packages*
(6) Gatorade-32 oz bottles (had to pack in a sm. duffle bag, it made the tote too heavy. Tote was already heavy!)

Items with * were all vacuum sealed for freshness. I made miniature labels for each package and vacuumed it into the pack for easy identification. I also printed small cooking directions for each package.

I also included 14 each: paper plates, paper bowls, plastic knife,fork,spoon.

She has a stock of cases of water in her room and her car is with her, where she keeps more cases.

I know that I will have done all that I can to keep her safe. She is only 2 hours away. I'm thinking w/ current situation, we can get her home. If not, in her room she's got a good flu kit, a decent two-week food box, a basic first aid kit,and an additional FULL first aid duffel bag in her car!)

Return to “College Students & Students Away From Home”