Growing: Corn

Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Original post by "Upinak" At American Preppers Network:

Image Corn?
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line.

:?: (Upinak):

Okay.. so I am growing corn. Did better then I thought I was going to do. Corn in now 5 ft tall and has these, what looks to be almost wheat like looking things coming out of them (is that the cob?) and I am starting to see the tassles!

What are the wheat looking things?

I feel so ignorant as I have looked at pics and read up but nobody really describes this thing other then to look for the tassles and wait for the cobs to show in their sheaths.

:arrow: (AlaskaRose):

The wheat looking things have the pollen so could be considered the flowers or the male portion of the plant. The tassles are the female portion waiting to be fertilized. When you shake the wheat portion when it is ready, it will let pollen fall on the tassles.
Even if you don't get mature ears, harvest the immature ears and use as the baby corn you get in chinese restaurants. They are also good sliced and added whole to stew, adds crunch and corn flavor. They are good added to pickled vegetables, also.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Growing: Corn

Post by Readymom »

How to Grow Corn in Your Garden
https://www.thespruce.com/growing-garden-fresh-sweet-corn-1402816

Corn isn't hard to grow, but is attractive to pests

Corn is one of the most popular vegetables to grow and eat, and all the more delicious when freshly harvested. To get the flavor of fresh corn, you will have to grow your own.
(SNIP)
Although it is easy enough to grow corn in any warm, sunny garden, it is often difficult to successfully bring to harvest because of the competition from crows, raccoons, squirrels and assorted other pests who find corn as delicious as do humans. ---CONTINUED at LINK, above---

Return to “Growing Specific Foods & Plants”